Panaflo cpu fans setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

emx61193

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Im going to purchase a venomous x and am hoping to put some 120x38 mm fans on it. I was thinking a panaflo l1 in a push pull( any other ideas). Im not sure where to plug the fans in mobo or psu or both. Are these loud fans from what i read no so is ok to leave them on all the time at 1700 rpm or shoul have them controlled someway.( if possible is there a way to have them on hands free control and the rpms will fluxuate based on cpu temps. Or do i need a manual fan controller( any recommendations)).

Kinda afraid of frying a cpu header.

Other notes.

Hafx case
gigabyte ga x58a ud3r mobo
g skill ram 6gb
850w corsairhx psu
amd 6870
venomous x

Solution

You can do either.

Are these loud fans from what i read no so is ok to leave them on all the time at 1700 rpm or shoul have them controlled someway.

The L1s are the low-speed version and are not all that noisy. You said they run at 1700 rpm, that will be certainly not be silent but won't be overly noisy.

( if possible is there a way to have them on hands free control and the rpms will fluxuate based on cpu temps. Or do i need a manual fan controller( any recommendations)).

There are a few ways to have the fan...

You can do either.

Are these loud fans from what i read no so is ok to leave them on all the time at 1700 rpm or shoul have them controlled someway.

The L1s are the low-speed version and are not all that noisy. You said they run at 1700 rpm, that will be certainly not be silent but won't be overly noisy.

( if possible is there a way to have them on hands free control and the rpms will fluxuate based on cpu temps. Or do i need a manual fan controller( any recommendations)).

There are a few ways to have the fan automatically ramp its speed up and down with the CPU temp. Many motherboards will automatically adjust fan speed based on CPU temp; just look in the BIOS for an "automatic" or "temp-controlled" speed setting. You'd have to plug your fans into the motherboard header for that to work, though, and make sure to set the motherboard for 3-pin fans if you do that. Leaving it set to PWM or 4-pin fan mode will just make 3-pin fans like Panaflos run at full speed all of the time. Another way is to get the version of the Panaflo L1 with an onboard thermocouple that will automatically adjust fan RPM based on heat. Put the thermocouple-enabled one as the "pull" fan on the heatsink so its thermocouple senses the temp of the CPU exhaust air and adjusts speed accordingly. The last option is to get a manual fan controller.

Kinda afraid of frying a cpu header.

Most of the headers I've seen are rated for 1 amp at 12 volts. It takes a pretty large, fast fan to draw 1 amp; your 120 mm L1 probably doesn't draw half of that. Just don't get a splitter and plug two fans into one header or get some fan that does draw an amp like a 120 mm fan that spins at 5000+ rpm.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.