Sign in with
Your question

Hard time choosing Motherboard and Cpu

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2009 3:31:56 PM

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on the boards. Ive been reading all of your posts and lots of reviews from just about every PC hardware site i could find. I've finally decided to build my own system after years of being unhappy with the computers i have owned.

I was thinking of going with an i7 920 but with all of the reviews I've read about the 58x motherboards and their BIOS drivers, I've decided to go with a core2quad. Ive narrowed down my search to 2 mother boards and 2 processors.

For my processor i was thinking of the Q6600 or the Q9550. From what i understand the Q6600 can be overclocked to just about the same speed as the Q9550 can be. I don't want to waste extra money that can be spent on my graphics card(s) if i don't have to. I mainly going to be using the PC for gaming if that makes any difference.

As for the motherboard i was thinking of the GA-EP45-UD3P. Everywhere ive looked i can't find anything bad anyone has said about this board. On the other hand I did not really want to go with an ATI graphics card. I came across the EVGA 750i FTW and 780i FTW boards. They have also gotten decent reviews from various sites and forums ive looked through.

I wouldn't mind using an ATI card if the EVGA cards aren't on par with the Gigabyte board but as of now i wanted to get SLI GTX 260s. Im not on a strict budget but i don't want to go much over $2000 for the system alone excluding a monitor. Any suggestions about the board or cpu would be appreciated. I'm also open to other ideas if you have something better to show me. Thanks in advance.
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2009 3:51:32 PM

jberardi31885 said:
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on the boards. Ive been reading all of your posts and lots of reviews from just about every PC hardware site i could find. I've finally decided to build my own system after years of being unhappy with the computers i have owned.

I was thinking of going with an i7 920 but with all of the reviews I've read about the 58x motherboards and their BIOS drivers, I've decided to go with a core2quad. Ive narrowed down my search to 2 mother boards and 2 processors.

For my processor i was thinking of the Q6600 or the Q9550. From what i understand the Q6600 can be overclocked to just about the same speed as the Q9550 can be. I don't want to waste extra money that can be spent on my graphics card(s) if i don't have to. I mainly going to be using the PC for gaming if that makes any difference.

As for the motherboard i was thinking of the GA-EP45-UD3P. Everywhere ive looked i can't find anything bad anyone has said about this board. On the other hand I did not really want to go with an ATI graphics card. I came across the EVGA 750i FTW and 780i FTW boards. They have also gotten decent reviews from various sites and forums ive looked through.

I wouldn't mind using an ATI card if the EVGA cards aren't on par with the Gigabyte board but as of now i wanted to get SLI GTX 260s. Im not on a strict budget but i don't want to go much over $2000 for the system alone excluding a monitor. Any suggestions about the board or cpu would be appreciated. I'm also open to other ideas if you have something better to show me. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the bios issues have been fixed on those boards with the latest bios updates.
March 21, 2009 7:18:01 PM

I would go i7 if I had that much at my disposal. you can afford GTX 285's in SLI on that budget. I'm not sure what bios problems you are referring to, I have none to speak about.
!