Sign in with
Your question

Hardware Malfunction...System Halted????

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2009 6:55:49 PM

I was ripping a very scratched cd into iTunes today when the import stopped for a few minutes, then a blue screen of death came up saying that there was a "Hardware Malfunction...Contact Your Vendor...System Halted" The thing is, when I rebooted my computer, I got to the desktop fine, I was even able to enter my BIOS password. But, once I got to the desktop, none of my keys worked and the mouse was frozen. Everything else seemed to be working fine, ie.) loading the desktop, picking up the wireless signal, etc. I've tried to boot in Safe Mode, but it seems my function keys aren't working during boot at all. The only time my keys seem to work is during the BIOS password screen. I am in desperate need to fix this. I just had my XP OS reinstalled a few weeks ago, and everything was running like it was brand new. I'm on a Dell Inspiron E1505. What's my next step???
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2009 6:27:24 AM

Hi reignking87, welcome!

Maybe you can try connecting a USB keyboard to your lapop, and see if you can start safe mode using it? After you get into safe mode, see if Windows still works when you disconnect the keyboard.
June 24, 2009 4:29:08 PM

I don't have a usb keyboard, but I did connect a usb mouse, and it worked. I can access everything like normal, but still nothing with the laptop mousepad or keyboard. Any ideas for my next move? Thanks.
Related resources
June 24, 2009 9:02:18 PM

After no luck with uninstalling the keyboard driver and rebooting, I decided to just manually disconnect the keyboard myself. I disconnected it, wiped down the the ribbon and contacts a little bit, and reconnected. I turned it back on and the mouse and keyboard were working, but shortly after, I got that same blue screen of death that I got originally saying there was a hardware malfunction. I restarted, tried to get into safe mode, but instead got this message:

I/O card parity interrupt @ 1000:166c.
Type (S)hut off NMI, (R)eboot, other keys to continue.

I hit 'r' and rebooted, now everything seems to be working just fine. Any insight is still greatly appreciated. Thanks.
a c 179 à CPUs
June 24, 2009 11:10:51 PM

get a Linux LIVE CD such as Ubuntu and boot from it. You need to have the CD before the hard drive in boot order.

If you can play around with Linux with no problems it's likely a Windows issue or a hard drive problem. The Linux Live CD (don't install it, just run it) does not use your hard drive. It's good for troubleshooting because it eliminates both Windows AND your hard drive as a source of errors.

If you get the same problem then it's likely defective hardware requiring further troubleshooting.

There may be easier ways to test but I hope this helps.
June 24, 2009 11:43:00 PM

Reset BIOS to default options. Possibly put your burner on another channel
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 12:00:03 AM

photonboy said:
get a Linux LIVE CD such as Ubuntu and boot from it. You need to have the CD before the hard drive in boot order.

If you can play around with Linux with no problems it's likely a Windows issue or a hard drive problem. The Linux Live CD (don't install it, just run it) does not use your hard drive. It's good for troubleshooting because it eliminates both Windows AND your hard drive as a source of errors.

If you get the same problem then it's likely defective hardware requiring further troubleshooting.

There may be easier ways to test but I hope this helps.

That is a great idea. I should have thought of that. Homer Simpson "DOH!"
!