Sign in with
Your question

Do you really need to reformat windows after changing motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2009 10:20:03 PM

I just upgrade to i7+x58+DDR3 from q6600+G33+DDR2 with out reformat windows and it works grate and performs better. Do I really need to reformat windows, because every one say that when you change motherboard you need to reformat windows?
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2009 11:33:56 PM

You may have gotten very lucky - as I did once. Vista apparently managed to navigate the change in chipsets.

Or, you may have issues preventing even better performance . . . and maybe one day soon you will find out . . . or maybe you'll never know.

That's the magic of replacing a mobo without re-installing the OS :) 

Good Luck.
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 2:30:44 AM

-You might not have to, but i highly recommend it.
Related resources
September 5, 2009 8:14:22 AM

Twoboxer said:
Or, you may have issues preventing even better performance

The performance incensement seems right but I will further investigate that comparing benchmarks with similar systems on the wed and see if there is any performance loss.

So far the OS is stable and with no problems as far I kwon.
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 8:23:41 AM

michaelmk86 said:
So far the OS is stable and with no problems as far I kwon.
That's usually the problem . . . "as far as I know".

a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 9:31:08 AM

It may work fine, but a fresh install is really the ideal thing to do at the time of a new build. Save all your data somewhere, and just do it. With an i7, it won't take long.
September 5, 2009 10:18:15 AM

You changed CPU classes, RAM classes and MB drivers and have no issues? I am gobsmacked!

I'd say that you probably do have issues, you just don't know it yet. Were it me, I'd breathe a deep sigh of relief, back up everything important and do a clean OS install. It is a bit of a pain, but much less painful now than it could be later when the incompatabilities start appearing...
a c 97 V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 10:23:57 AM

Good grief, are we still in the dark ages?

Does anyone know why windows might not boot when you swap motherboards? Anyone? What causes it to enter a constant state of rebooting? The answer is that each chipset maker uses a different method to "talk" to the harddrive. Intel's is different from Nvidia's, which is different from SiS's, which is different from AMDs, etc. He didn't "get lucky", he went from an Intel G33 board to an Intel X58 board. They both use the same method, both are Intel chipset boards. He would have had issues if he went from a 750i board, to the x58. (unless before he swapped over he loaded the windows default driver.)

As long as he's using a modern windows OS, he shouldn't have any issues with the other hardware. Windows will use plug and play to load the new drivers, and not use the old ones. It only needs the harddrive drivers.
September 5, 2009 10:40:52 AM

4745454b said:
Good grief, are we still in the dark ages?

Does anyone know why windows might not boot when you swap motherboards? Anyone? What causes it to enter a constant state of rebooting? The answer is that each chipset maker uses a different method to "talk" to the harddrive. Intel's is different from Nvidia's, which is different from SiS's, which is different from AMDs, etc. He didn't "get lucky", he went from an Intel G33 board to an Intel X58 board. They both use the same method, both are Intel chipset boards. He would have had issues if he went from a 750i board, to the x58. (unless before he swapped over he loaded the windows default driver.)

As long as he's using a modern windows OS, he shouldn't have any issues with the other hardware. Windows will use plug and play to load the new drivers, and not use the old ones. It only needs the harddrive drivers.

My personal experience begs to differ... I went from an Asus 939 MB to a DFI 939 MB, and from an FX 55 to an opty 750. Ran OK for a few days, (after manually re-installing the MB drivers) but then started having issues. This was on Win XP, SP1. Pretty 'modern', yeah? I could have probably sorted out all the issues, done a ton of regedit work, etc., but it was just simpler to back up whatever important data and re-install. That took a few hours, vs. a few days futzing around every time a new issue appeared.

I'm probably not as good as you though.
a c 97 V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 10:50:17 AM

I've made the switch three times. I've always switched the driver to windows default, and removed the sound, lan, usb, etc drivers from the device manager. Once in the new system I let it boot and load all the stuff it has to. After that, its done. I've never had any issue from there on. The only thing I haven't done is do this with a more recent system using SATA drivers. But I use IDE compat mode, so thats probably not an issue at all. Do some digging online if you don't believe.
September 5, 2009 12:16:39 PM

I've switched boards on several machines using Vista 64 bit and have had no problems but with XP it can be a crap shoot.
September 5, 2009 2:20:45 PM

The performance results

Farcry2
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=612&pgno=...
i get 114fps(i7 920 3.6 & GTX295) a similar system get 109fps(i7 965 3.2 & GTX295)

Cryostasis
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=612&pgno=...
i get 47.5fps(i7 920 3.6 & GTX295) a similar system get 47.5fps(i7 965 3.2 & GTX295)

World in conflict
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-285,review-31...
i get 66fps(i7 920 3.6 & GTX295) a similar system get 68fps(i7 920 4.2 & GTX295)

Crysis
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-295,review-31...
i get 37,5fps(i7 920 3.6 & GTX295) a similar system get 40,5fps(i7 920 4.2 & GTX295) <--Here for some reason I am 3fps behind.

So far I didn’t find any issue with the OS(vista 64).
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 8:53:46 PM

I removed an EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i and installed a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. With a drive-image of my old Vista HD on a new HD, I decided to try just booting up. Why? To see if it would work.

For the last 7 months or so, it seems to have been working.

But every time something doesn't go as I expected it to (eg, a slow response, can't find a network drive, vid glitches that turn out to be a bad video card), I wonder.

I'll never again do that for a long term install.
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2009 9:02:15 PM

Since I don't replace a motherboard that often (once every two years), I generally do a fresh install. My view is might as well have the OS brand new for the brand new hardware.
September 5, 2009 9:05:21 PM

I've never had luck switching around mobos without a clean install....Hell I have problems without switching a thing =P
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2009 1:58:31 AM

4745454b said:
I've made the switch three times. I've always switched the driver to windows default, and removed the sound, lan, usb, etc drivers from the device manager. Once in the new system I let it boot and load all the stuff it has to. After that, its done. I've never had any issue from there on. The only thing I haven't done is do this with a more recent system using SATA drivers. But I use IDE compat mode, so thats probably not an issue at all. Do some digging online if you don't believe.

Your experiences my friend are the exception to the rule, not the majority.
I too have changed many a boards, and got Windows to work again without a full blown reinstall.
A repair install will even correct a first start non boot problem.
But later on, you nearly always run into a bug, a glitch, something does not want to work quite right....it happens every time.
Likely most people who are not true "enthusiasts" would never know the difference, and just take a slow network connection, a sudden lag during a game, a drive that transfers data slower than it should, a DVD burner that has problems burning an occasional DVD , a program that won't seem to install correctly, as that "that damned Microsoft OS"
And as I have already said, with the speed of todays systems, it is no big deal to do a reinstall.
It is simply not worth NOT doing it.
September 13, 2009 7:05:56 AM

I did at least 4 MB changes under XP w/out a reformat. Heck, until a couple months ago I hadn't reformatted in like, 5-6 years. Reformatted only to find out the problem was I had forgotten to up my ram voltage last time I swapped out a cpu and reset the bios. Coulda gone on without the reformat. I always just uninstalled everything first
!