Metaljaw

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
A few weeks back my 1tb western digital hdd started disappearing from my "computer" I could not explore it or access it at all, and it wasn't just the icon disappearing its not in my device manager either. After it originally started happening about a week later my power supply died, so i figured it was the last on the line for sata power and wasn't getting the power, i bought a new power supply (cooler master 650w gx) installed it and booted up and my hdd was fine for about 2 weeks, suddenly tonight i started a defrag on my hdd (perfect disk 11) and my drive disappeared again. I thought maybe the connectors, but everything was fine, so i rebooted checked my bios its recognized in my sata 3 port, i boot up and can access and run the drive for about 10minutes. I don't believe this has anything to do with it but i recent did a windows update and after booting it did a "drive check" i believe or diagnostic or something checking the ntfs format of my drive.

Any ideas on why this might be happening, did i fry the drive running it with the dying power supply? (old supply was a 6 year old thermaltake 500w silent pure power)

anything that doesn't involve formating, the drive is about 75% full and id really rather not lose anything on it.

Metaljaw

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I ran the diagnostic on the drive and the quick run came up with no errors, when i run the full diagnostic, twice, and i BSoD both times. i tried switching cables same issue, when i changed sata ports and the drive wasn't recognized what so ever. and i haven't gotten the the power management, but when i format my drive i usually set a power management, so that nothing turns off, but unless there's advances settings, i haven't been able to chk the settings cause its BSoD before i went to work.

Metaljaw

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
well now it seems like i cant get the BSoD which i guess is good, but the problem is its like every 2 weeks the it happens. So i guess i have to wait for it to happen again to get the code of the BSoD but luckily i backed everything up now so if it is the drive I can have it warranty replaced.