Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I manually overclock Phenom II 555?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 16, 2010 2:11:48 PM

I have never manually overclocked a processor before except through hardware and software, so I need some help.

Firstly, if you note my specs below (Phenom II 555 and AMD 890FX-GD70), I have tried to use the MSI OC Genie in the BIOS built into my mobo and also AMD Overdrive, but each of these causes the system to freeze or crash. I have also installed a Tuniq Tower to help with cooling so my processor never goes above 32C degrees under load, so I know it is cool enough to be able to up the settings. Someone mentioned that my RAM is preventing overclocking, but I don't know if this is true either.

However, I have read that I should begin to overclock a cpu with voltage and multipliers, but where should I set them to be safe and yet get the best performance. I know how to do so under my BIOS, but I need some reference from people who have actually worked with AMD cpu's. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Don't send me links unless they are pertinent.
November 16, 2010 2:20:17 PM

Can someone help explain this post...
First,you need to manually set your memory speed, timings, and the required memory slot voltage, to your memory manufacturers exact requirements, and regarding the 1T, 2T, setting, for AMD in my experience the 2T setting is more stable, (I suggest 2T to attain your overclock then after you're sure its stable you can set it to 1T and see if your memory will stay stable at that setting), if you do not manually set these parameters, you may as well quit right now.See Memory Note Below:
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2010 2:45:18 PM

Upping the multiplier is the easiest way to overclock. My CPU is at 2.8GHz at stock, with a 200MHz FSB and 14 multi, making 2800MHz. I've put the Multi up to 18 and now I'm running at 3.6GHz, but to get stable at that speed you need to increase slowly.

I popped the multiplier up by one point (or sometimes half a point) and then booted Windows and ran Prime95 for an hour to make sure the overclock is stable.

Once I was happy it's stable, I up the multi again until the overclock is unstable (blue screens / crash) and then I upped the voltage by a single increment until stable again.

DO NOT just go for a high speed straight the way. I would assume this is how 50% of noobs fry their computers.

Do it in small steps and you'll be fine. And eventually you'll get to a speed where it doesn't matter how much you up the voltage, you won't be stable. You dial your clock back a little bit and that's your max speed.

If you're multiplier is locked, meaning you can't just overclock how I have. You need to increase your FSB as well as or instead of the multiplier.

NOTE: Increasing multi only increases the CPU speed. Increasing the FSB increases nearly everything on your motherboard including your RAM.

If you need further help, post again in this thread and I'll try to help anyway I can.
Related resources
November 16, 2010 10:35:49 PM

So I moved the multiplier up to x17 (3.4 Ghz) and everything is fine. I understand to go incrementally until unstable. However, once I have the mutliplier where it should be, what do I do next?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2010 7:17:44 AM

If you've got your multiplier at x17 and are currently running at 3.4GHz (shown in computer properties and CPU-Z (download here http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.56-setup-en.exe ) then you now need to make sure it's stable. The best way to do this is to download prime95 ( http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 ) and run it for a good few hours. It stesses your CPU out and if you're unstable you'll crash or bluescreen. If you crash or BSOD you need to either up your voltage or lower your clock. If you don't crash or BSOD then you're stable at that speed :].
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:49:42 AM

I upped the multiplier to x18 and ran Prime95 for two hours with no problems whatsoever! My CPU temp was at 28C under 100% load. I will slowly up the multiplier until I find issues running Prime95.

So, once I get the multiplier set, what is the next step???

Also, what is the CE1 setting in the BIOS?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2010 5:27:20 PM

Once the multiplier is set.. that's it. If you're stable - you're stable - and you can go about playing your games or whatever you're overclocking for. If you get to a point where you're unstable that's when you play with voltages or dial it back some.

Not sure about the CE1 setting. Look at your manual or google it along with your motherboard and it should tell you.
m
l
November 17, 2010 5:47:24 PM

Acer, are you saying I should find the point when increasing the multiplier makes it unstable, leave it there, and increase voltage to make it stable again? Or are you saying to find where the multiplier is not stable, back it down a little, and then increase voltage?
m
l
November 18, 2010 12:24:01 PM

Best answer selected by ahthurungnone.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 11:09:16 PM

Increase the multiplier until you're unstable, then try to stabilise it with voltage increase. Eventually you will get to a point where it doesn't matter how high your voltrage is - your overclock will never be stable.. and thats when you back it down a bit, back to a stable stage. That's your max overclock.
m
l
!