User Accounts: A small but incredibly annoying problem.

May 19, 2004 7:39:02 PM

Set up a new system with XP home SP1

I decided during setup to call the new main Administrator
account "First User"

Only it displays the user as "Fist Usr" in some areas
such as Task Manager\Users and C:\Documents and
settings\Fist Usr

OK I thought no big deal. Setting up the second Admin
Account I chose the name "Second User". Guess what.
Through Task Manager\Users and C:\Documents and settings\
this account displays as "User".

P.S.

The names were not actually First/Second User. The names
have been changed to protect the innocent but are close
enough so as not to impede any help you can offer.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 9:38:56 PM

C K Findlay wrote:
> Set up a new system with XP home SP1
>
> I decided during setup to call the new main Administrator
> account "First User"
>
> Only it displays the user as "Fist Usr" in some areas
> such as Task Manager\Users and C:\Documents and
> settings\Fist Usr
>
> OK I thought no big deal. Setting up the second Admin
> Account I chose the name "Second User". Guess what.
> Through Task Manager\Users and C:\Documents and settings\
> this account displays as "User".
>
> P.S.
>
> The names were not actually First/Second User. The names
> have been changed to protect the innocent but are close
> enough so as not to impede any help you can offer.

CK

Before you get further into this quagmire, I suggest you reboot to Safe Mode
which will log you into the built-in Administrator account. Go to Control
Panel/User Accounts and delete both of the users in question, including
deleting their files and settings when prompted.

Reboot and then go to the same place in regular mode and create a user
account with the name you wish to use.

To boot into Safe Mode in XP Home, reboot and start pressing the F8 key as
soon as the XP initialization window appears until you see the boot screen.
Select Safe Mode and press ENTER. At the log-in screen select Administrator
and press ENTER.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 11:56:07 AM

Is there any possible chance that account can be renamed from "First User?"
Is there a third party utility available to do that?

I inherited a computer that was only months old and simply renamed the admin
account on it's face. The original and actual "administrators" name is
everywhere (file structure) on here and when the kids see the account named
"Daddy," it would be nice if the other users name wasn't associated with it.
*L*

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> C K Findlay wrote:
> > Set up a new system with XP home SP1
> >
> > I decided during setup to call the new main Administrator
> > account "First User"
> >
> > Only it displays the user as "Fist Usr" in some areas
> > such as Task Manager\Users and C:\Documents and
> > settings\Fist Usr
> >
> > OK I thought no big deal. Setting up the second Admin
> > Account I chose the name "Second User". Guess what.
> > Through Task Manager\Users and C:\Documents and settings\
> > this account displays as "User".
> >
> > P.S.
> >
> > The names were not actually First/Second User. The names
> > have been changed to protect the innocent but are close
> > enough so as not to impede any help you can offer.
>
> CK
>
> Before you get further into this quagmire, I suggest you reboot to Safe
Mode
> which will log you into the built-in Administrator account. Go to Control
> Panel/User Accounts and delete both of the users in question, including
> deleting their files and settings when prompted.
>
> Reboot and then go to the same place in regular mode and create a user
> account with the name you wish to use.
>
> To boot into Safe Mode in XP Home, reboot and start pressing the F8 key as
> soon as the XP initialization window appears until you see the boot
screen.
> Select Safe Mode and press ENTER. At the log-in screen select
Administrator
> and press ENTER.
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> http://www.dts-l.org
> http://www.mvps.org

May 21, 2004 11:56:08 AM

Randolph Scott wrote:
> Is there any possible chance that account can be renamed from "First
> User?" Is there a third party utility available to do that?
>
> I inherited a computer that was only months old and simply renamed
> the admin account on it's face. The original and actual
> "administrators" name is everywhere (file structure) on here and when
> the kids see the account named "Daddy," it would be nice if the other
> users name wasn't associated with it. *L*

In a case like this, yes.

You can log on with the built-in Administrator account, create a new user
account for "daddy", take ownership of the files for the "first user"
account, copy the "first user" account to the new "daddy" account and then
delete the original "first user" account.

Here are the articles that give the step by step instructions for
accomplishing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Let us know if you need more help.

--
Ronnie Vernon