Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sanity check: I'll need a cpu heatsync fan for this, right?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 16, 2010 10:38:06 PM

I'm in way over my head at this point, so I wanted to verify what I'm pretty sure to be the case:

I'm looking at getting an i7-950 with a Prolimatech Megahalems heatsync. I'll be using 2 video cards (one crappy for secondary monitors, one good for large main monitor), and slapping it all into a Silverstone ft02. PSU, etc etc I haven't pinned down yet.

My (total in-over-head noob) gut tells me I'll should add a fan onto the Megahalems, but that's just a hugely uninformed guess.

Anyone care to chime in to verify my suspicion (or kick down any advice that comes to mind)?

Thanks!

<edit> Y'know, this brings up a question I probably should ask. If I'm not actually going to overlock, do even need a big ol heatsinc+fan, vs just the stock cpu fan?

More about : sanity check cpu heatsync fan

November 16, 2010 11:40:56 PM

I believe so. I think you could just add any good 12cm fan and be good to go.
m
l
November 16, 2010 11:42:36 PM

Yeah, that was my thinking. I've continued to read around a bit more, and am getting that sense very much.

Thanks for chiming in, man!
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 6:17:16 AM

atleast one PWM fan if you want mobo to control the speed based on temps... or atleast a 3 pin mobo header fan and you could control it thru software...
m
l

Best solution

a c 167 K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 3:37:19 PM

Yes, one fan at minimum, two in push-pull if doing over clocks (> 20%). If npoise is a consideration, suggest two 1300rpm fans such as:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10026/fan-639/Scythe_...

To control the two fans from the single MoBo header, you'll need this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10350/cab-183/Akasa_P...
December 5, 2010 7:00:05 PM

Best answer selected by amoebachiba.
m
l
!