Your question

ASUS M4A785TD-V RAM Slots

Tags:
  • Asus
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2009 6:12:55 AM

So I just now was able to get my Ram up to its specs: mushkin XP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996657 - cas of 7, latency of 777-20 and volts of 1.85-1.95. In the bios I set everything to its appropriate numbers. Now when I run CPU-Z, two things I have a question on. First, it says my "Channels #: 1" Shouldn't it say 2, since its dual channel? Second, my DRAM Frequency is 800, not 1600. I think its just dividing the 1600 and shwoing 800.

I read reviews that the M4A785TD-V is picky about where you place the memory, and I have it in slots A1 and B1 (B1 is closest to the CPU, and A1 third out; there's B2 inbetween them). I was wondering if I need to move a RAM to show Channels #: 2.

Sorry for rambling, but I have a question that sort of links all these questions: DRAM Timing Mode, do I want [BOTH] [DCT 0] or [DCT 1]?

Sorry for the mishmash post.

More about : asus m4a785td ram slots

September 5, 2009 6:17:49 AM

On a side note, with this mobo, I was unable to unlock the 4th core in my x3 720 BE. Since everyone brags about it, I thought I would too. :D 

p.s. Whats "Command Rate: 2T" in CPU-Z?
September 5, 2009 3:20:58 PM

I had to move the RAM originally in "A1" to "B2". From reviews I've read on both the Mushkin and the Asus, there is a misprint in the manual; apparently you're supposed to use the black banks (the ones closest to the CPU). After switching the one RAM over, I bootred up CPU-Z and its says "Channels #: Dual", and when I tab over to SPD, Slots #1 & 2 show RAM in them (last night it was Slots 1 & 3). I hope this helps some people. I upped ther voltage for the RAM to 1.89, can't get right on 1.9, but its in red color, which has me a little apprehensive, but since everyone else is running their RAM at that setting...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 7, 2009 3:31:10 PM

camgren, I've been wondering which slots to put the memory in for this board. Can you point to me to where you've heard they should be in the black banks? I think I put mine in the blue ones. You are right about the manual misprint. Thx.
September 10, 2009 5:21:54 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply, just got wireless for my comp. I read the information on the newegg website. The first was on the ASUS board customer review: "Manual misprinted. Manual shows alternating DIMM slots for dual channel RAM. I had to pair RAM next to each other for dual channel."

The second one is from a customer review of the Mushkin RAM (996657) I'm using: "For those entertaining this memory on the M4A785TD-V EVO board, the modules are unstable in the blue slots at 1600 MHz which ASUS lists as channel A1 and B1. However, they run perfectly fine in the black slots. I suspect ASUS has the slots reversed."

I hope this helps. I took the second RAM out of the farthest blue slot, and placed it right next to the RAM in the black slot. When I opened up CPU-Z, the channel # went to dual. I hope this helps, and sorry again about the lag inbetween your question and my response.
September 16, 2009 11:46:20 PM

Thanks camgren.

Thats does help - I also saw a good user review (daveburt714, google with m4a785td-v and look on the first page) which showed a nice picture of his install where he's also using the black slots (with a rather nice looking scythe fan right next to them).

I've now moved my RAM to the two black slots (Platinum OCZ LV AMD 1600) and all seems fine.

No worries about the delay in your reply - I've been delayed myself getting all the software installed (especially the ATI drivers which still give me errors in the EventViewer->ACEEventLog).