Sign in with
Your question

CREATING EXTRA SPACE ON MY PC USING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Last response: in Storage
October 13, 2010 4:07:28 PM

Hello,
My PC is becoming slower and slower and telling me it has 0 space on 'C' drive. I have just bought a Seagate external hard drive in order to free some space but have no idea how to use it. After plugging it in and going through the Auto set I am stuck and have no idea what I am supposed to do in order to make some space on C Drive. Please can someone help?????
a c 354 G Storage
October 13, 2010 4:30:39 PM

You didn't say which OS you are using, but have you tried running "disk cleanup"? In XP it's under programs/accessories/system tools.

Also, you can move any pictures, music files, and data files to the new hard drive to make space on your current drive.
October 14, 2010 2:11:36 PM

Hi,
OS is Windows Vista
Related resources
a c 354 G Storage
October 14, 2010 2:41:36 PM

Disk cleanup is in the same place in vista, "All Programs/accessories/system tools".
October 14, 2010 9:13:49 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Disk cleanup is in the same place in vista, "All Programs/accessories/system tools".

Thank you for your advice but it tells me in order to run a disk clean up I need at least 15% free space and I have 0% free space - sorry I'm being a bit thick here but just desparate to get pc back to health!
Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks
October 14, 2010 10:02:47 PM

Hi,

Move the stuff from your My documents folder, then all the folders and big files from your desktop.

Move any, movies, music,picture.

BONUS: Uninstall any games, reinstall them by manually setting them on the other drive on the other drive.

The rest should be manageable.
a c 354 G Storage
October 15, 2010 1:02:37 PM

You may also want to try windirstat. It will show a graph of your hard drive showing you which files are taking up the most space. Some of these may be eligible for moving to the other drive.
!