Error Loading Operating System

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I received the message "rror Loading Operating System" in the middle of my weekly backup. I have a Dell Demension 2400 computer with windows xp pro. I ran all the diagnostic test and all show OK. Fortunately I ran a full backup last month and was wondering if I reload the XP disk and start from scratch..can i restore from the backup i created last month to get all my files back on the system?? Or is there a way I can save the system and get to reboot.. anyone?? Thanks

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I had just started my weekly backup of files with th backp utility and when I went back to check the progress..there sat the message. When I powered the system down from the start button, and tried to load again the message came up after the Dell load screen. I did it again and used f12 and ran diagnotstics and all were ok... All this started Sunday morning. I don't want to lose too many files. Thanks for your response and question, hope you can help. I'm ready to go to bestbuy and see what they say..

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
feezes immediately after bios, never could get to safe mode "f8" gives me a keyboard error then freeze with message "error Loading Operating System. I have just one hard drive. My dell is about 5yrs old, but never gave me a problem until Sunday.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
well there are two easy ways to try and to try to get the info off the drive you can put the drive in a working computer or try a live cd such as linux or barts. Although if you back up your files weekly there shouldn't be much there.

other than that I would reformat and reinstall windows and then run a surface scan of the drive

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
If I re-installed the windows xp using xp recovery console would I be able to use the Monthly Backup of the full system to restore everything as it was on the first of the month. I would be able to run my Zone Alarm full scan for viruses. would I be able to use programs I have installed that I do not have the load disk for? I really do not want to lose too many files.

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Well, thanks for your help. I have a couple of days to work this out, thank God iI bought ny backup laptop. I would not mind re-installing the windows so long as I could restore my last monthly backup files. I worried about doing this without trying to fix this altogether without cleaning the hard drive and starting over. this is really a mess for me.

anyway, thanks. I'll get back to you when I find out what happens in all this.

major_error

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I ran into this error under different circumstances, and my solution was to replace the ATA-133 ribbon cable with an old ATA-100 cable.

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Hi, I have my full backup of 5/31/09 on a "WD Hard Drive Disk" I also have some files backed up from 6/14/09. However, I tried restoring the files from 6/14/09 to another computer and it only showed the folder names without data...I'm worried to reload my XP Pro and start new like Dell says I have to do. Any other means that may work would help.

Thanks.

spectrum21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

What is a ribbon cable? Is it the cable from the hard drive to the system or something? Maybe my cable is screwed up, who knows. Thanks for your suggestion.