Asus M4A78T-E IDE isn't working

bob the destroyer

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I have a brand-new Asus M4A78T-E which won't boot if an IDE drive is connected. It POSTs, but hangs at "Asus Express Gate". I don't get any beep codes or any error messages on the screen. I can boot from a SATA drive fine. I've tried 3 different IDE drives.

I can't confirm the IDE drives work in another machine, and they are scavenged from my last computer, which died a sudden death. My only thought is that all three drives are broken. Other than that I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Setup:
Asus M4A78T-E
BIOS version 1302
Phenom II X4 810

What jumpers if any are set on the drives? and are the ribbon cables set up to slave or master? Is it cable select?
It seems unlikely all 3 drives would fail. Have you tried adding them just one at a time, it sounds like you did.

Could be a setting in bios as well. Perhaps ACPI mode is keeping the other drives from operating. Try legacy IDE mode or if there is a mixed mode perhaps.

Just had another thought.Will the system boot with the SATA and IDE attached or is it just the IDE drives that won't boot? Cause I would expect the latter...

If both the new SATA drive and ide combination won't boot go into bios and auto detect the ide drives. Or turn off express gate. I have a feeling that express gate may be coming along before the post has a chance to recognize the ide drives.

gl