Running SLI cards with Fraps

Alex00322

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Just recently bought a second 285 and ever since then whenever I try to record thing with fraps my frames go to complete ***. Sometimes the game will even freeze. Is this a known problem or is there something I need to change. All my drivers are up to date as is my version of fraps. core i7 965 proc 12 gigs of ram 1200 watt power supply gtx 285 x2.

Thats not it although i must admit its definatly the kind of thinking that only a computer savy mind could come up with. ;)
Anyway i checked and FRAPS supports up to 9999 FPS so i doubt its that. More liklet a compatability problem. Maybe try turning the SIL off and using it to see if thats it.

Mactronix

Alex00322

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Well I first noticed it when I was playing the open chinese beta for Aion. I just figured it was a compatibility problem with that specific game. A few days later I tried doing it on warhammer and Crysis wars / warhead. It gave me the same problem. I tried running it with SLI off and it seems like things were fine. I'm basically clueless as to what I should try next.

Alex00322

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The only time I have a problem with fraps is when I start recording. And depending on the game around 200-300 fps in Aion 100 in Warhammer 50 in Crysis

r_manic

Administrator
Haha mactronix! :p

Just to be clear, those are the framerates when fraps is off? What are the framerates during recording?

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
It sounds like it's the limit of your hdd writing the images when you're recording to me. If you're running at high resolution the amount of data you're recording will be very high.

Alex00322

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Seem to have forgotten about this thread. I have two new 285's both are 285 GTX OC FU's now. I'm still having the same issues with fraps. I also have two new HDD's two 500 gig Caviar blacks. The problem is on all games. I can't seem to find a fix for this. If anyone knows of one now please let me know!

Why are you using FRAPS?, is it because you want to record a video or are you just trying to record framerates?

Make sure your drivers are up to date as well set the FPS recording to 30 or 50 and nothing higher. Next bench your drive to find out the performance in sequential read and write. Drives that easily drop below 80mbps tend to be very crappy when running fraps with recording games or sampling videos at a higher bit rate. Also you can crate a folder on the other drive and default fraps to record files to that folder on the other drive that is how I can cheat a few extra fps when doing game play videos and that with Caviar blues that I got (crap drives except one).

Alex00322

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
My drives are all up to date. I honestly have no idea what is causing it to drop. I get 300 frames on some games then turn on fraps and get 9. doesn't make any sense. I'm trying to record in fraps. Mousemonkey.

Get a second drive and have fraps record on to it that si what I did and it bought me 5~35fps than just using one drive since the virtual memory is what is part of the problem.