Whats the next noticable CPU upgrade

I have a E4600 and was wondering which CPU is the next thats actually worth upgrading to ? 5300 ? 7300 ? etc. Im looking for opinions to add to my own research on the subject.
Please dont just post get an i7 or 8600. unless its true of course.

Mactronix

Microcenter has an e8200 dual core for $99.95 right now online. I believe you can order it without having to go to one of their stores to pick it up, which is unusual. They have had quad cores for as low as $139 recently, but with in store pickup only. I use the e4500, and see no reason to spend more, but I'm not a gamer. It all depends on what you use your system for.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
+1 for Q9550. E8500 isnt a bad choice either, but I dislike the idea of replacing a dual core with another dual.

EDIT: Anyone who recommends E8600 is an over finaced retard. The latest revision E8400 and E8500 clock just as high for much less.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I would not update it for another dual core. Overclock it if You have not already. If You still feel that You should uppgrade go for Q9550 or at least Q9400

G

What is the rest of your system, Mobo especially and RAM, Also do you overclock your system at all?

G

If i had a 775 i'd go straight to an E8600. Yeah its a dual core but the I7 is expensive and it should easily hit 4.5Ghz and do it daily

+1 4.5 ghz will require a very decent Mobo and Ram and Psu And Cooling with a fair deal of knowledge and a little luck.

what is the machine used for on a daily basis?

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Psycho that is a very impressive overclock. You must have some very good ram and a good MoBo. What do you get with 3Dmark 06?

B-unit you're calling someone retarded with that spelling?

G

Psycho : 1.47v is high for everyday overclock, max intel spec is 1.36 v safe clock , most will say to 1.45v is safe, more for extreme single runs ect, and yes luck is needed for you to run over 4ghz as you can pick up a chip that will not!

Saying that, nice overclock, didnt think the Coolit domino had it in it to keep such temps, it does not do well with Quad Cores!

How long did you run the 8500 at 1.477v (Months) as would be interesting to know if there was any degradation due to electronic migration at that voltage over time?

Sorry i haven't got back before now guys.
Thanks for the input.
The system is a 4Core1600Twins-P35 MOBO with said E4600 and 2GB Patriot DDR2 Ram (6400, 800)
With a HD4770 GPU.
Yes i am able to OC with this MOBO and i do if the occasion calls for it, don't get games i cant play on my 19" wide screen though so it usually runs at its stock 2.4 but it is running at 2.96 at the moment.
Is it true that W7 uses multi cores better ? With this in mind and the supposed Multi threaded enhancements of DX11 would getting a Quad now make sense ? Also with the news that Intel are going to swap everything to 1160 sockets as soon as October if some reports are to be beleived. Is there a case for getting the best Quad i can now before they stop selling them ?
Thanks
Mactronix