Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot connect PC to HDTV with 8800GTX DVI to HDMI cable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2009 10:50:32 AM

Hello guys! I'm trying to connect my PC with a 8800GTX dual DVI card to a Panasonic TH50PZ800E TV. I have bought a DVI/HDMI cable and connected one end to the second 8800GTX DVI output and the other end to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. So far - to image at all. Have tried running nVidia Control Center wizzards, etc. - no luck. Apparently the TV is not detected at all. I have tried a forced detection, but no luck so far. Can this be solved? Any input is appreciated.
a c 112 U Graphics card
a b x TV
April 14, 2009 12:24:30 PM

It should not show up as a TV, but another monitor. TV normally refers to a SD TV connected on Composite/S-Video.

In the NV control panel under Display -> Set up multiple displays, do you see 2 monitors?
Score
April 14, 2009 1:50:01 PM

No, it does not detect it at all. It shows as TV because I used the "Force Detection" feature provided by nVidia. Otherwise only my LCD monitor was listed.
Score
Related resources
April 14, 2009 1:55:27 PM

A breakthrough of sorts! Now control panel lists my TV as "Panasonic TV" and I was able to select it as the second monitor, I ran the wizzard and everything seemd fine, but it still shows nothing on the TV.
Score
a c 112 U Graphics card
a b x TV
April 14, 2009 2:12:47 PM

strange. The only times i ever ran a TV on my computer it was via S-vid or VGA(D-sub).

Multi monitor with DVI(HDMI is just DVI + sound. with the 8800GTX there is not even any sound anyway) has never given an issue.
Score
April 14, 2009 4:31:05 PM

I suppose the TV and the cable are fine since PC does recognise the TV. So it's either a graphics card issue (not wanting to output anything to the TV) or more likely a software/drivers/control panel issue. I've been searching around, apperenly people usually do manage to connect to their HDTV's, they later encounter overscan problems or whatever, but they at least get to have an image on TV screen. :cry: 
Score
a c 112 U Graphics card
a b x TV
April 15, 2009 2:08:52 AM

does windows allow you to extend the desktop to the tv with its own multi-monitor support?
Score
April 15, 2009 8:49:31 AM

Yes, at Display Properties -- Settings both monitors appear. The second one has a resolution of 1920x1080 (I have tried lowering but it didn't help). Also, at times the second monitor appears with a dotted line around it as if it was "disabled" or something. Then I right-click on it and say "Attached" and the dotted line is gone and it looks normal and the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" check box becomes enabled and marked by default ... but still no image.
Score
April 15, 2009 8:54:38 AM

Have you tried only connecting the HDTV? Maybe that monitor is not letting the HDTV work? LOL i'm bad with monitors. Just a suggestion tho.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2009 3:23:42 PM

Did you actually swith your TV to HDMI, vs what ever it was on.

Example.
My setup.
For image on xbox 360: TV to component 1
Image on PC TV to HDMI 1

If the TV is on the wrong signal port you will never get a image.
Score
a c 112 U Graphics card
a b x TV
April 15, 2009 4:28:41 PM

daship said:
Did you actually swith your TV to HDMI, vs what ever it was on.

Example.
My setup.
For image on xbox 360: TV to component 1
Image on PC TV to HDMI 1

If the TV is on the wrong signal port you will never get a image.

Wow you make me feel like a noob for not even thinking of asking that. Worse part is i have used a SD tv for years to watch videos off my computer, so i should ask that first.
Score
April 15, 2009 5:26:16 PM

make sure your not going over the rated resolution for your tv. Drop it to something like 640x480 and see if anything comes up on your tv.
Score
April 15, 2009 9:35:24 PM

Of course I did! :D 

Here is the story: don't ask how or why or whatever but after countless permutations in changing settings in nVidia control panel and Windows display settings and pulling the HDMI/DVI cable out and sticking it back in - a miracle has happened! - I got the 1080p desktop on my TV. No overscan, no nothing ... apparently the best aspect setting is 16:9 (and not Auto or Just). Looks quite nice. Fonts are probably not as sharp as I would like them to be, so probably there is something a bit wrong with the aspect ratio, but it's Okay for now. Utilising my HDTV to the fullest: TV, PC, X360, PS3 (these three connected to HDMI), PS2, and HDD Media player! Thank you guys for helping out ... it's a bit sad I still don't know the reason of the problem I had ... maybe a loose cable?? I really don't know.
Score
August 3, 2009 5:14:43 PM

aintd5 said:
A breakthrough of sorts! Now control panel lists my TV as "Panasonic TV" and I was able to select it as the second monitor, I ran the wizzard and everything seemd fine, but it still shows nothing on the TV.

Hello i also purchased a sony z4100 and i also am running the same setup as you with the 8800gtx. I am also having a handshake issue with my dvi-hdmi from my pc to my HDTV. For some reason i if i have the hdmi cord plugged into the the dvi slot in the back of my computer and the other end plugged into the tv, now if i try and bootup my computer i will see the initial startup screen then just after it gets passed the startup screen my screen will go blank and then my computer just stops trying to bootup and im stuck at black screen.

Now this might help you, well this how i get my computer to recognize the tv i disconnect the hdmi cord from the dvi then i bootup my computer after i hear the windows load up Noise i know my computer has fully booted up then i plug in the hdmi cord back to the dvi adapter Then magically my tv turns on and everything is working properly, just dont let your computer go to screen saver mode or else you might not be able to get your screen back unless you restart. If you are going to leave your computer on without using it for a while, i recommend putting it into sleep mode, and you shouldnt have to disconnect in order to power back up. Well hope this helps by the way I also have a panasonic and never have this issue when i plug my computer to it, and to tell you the truth ive had over 5 panasonics and never had this problem so its kind of wierd you are. And i thought it was just Sony putting out unfinished products.
Score
August 26, 2009 8:00:36 AM

gotpot903 said:
Hello i also purchased a sony z4100 and i also am running the same setup as you with the 8800gtx. I am also having a handshake issue with my dvi-hdmi from my pc to my HDTV. For some reason i if i have the hdmi cord plugged into the the dvi slot in the back of my computer and the other end plugged into the tv, now if i try and bootup my computer i will see the initial startup screen then just after it gets passed the startup screen my screen will go blank and then my computer just stops trying to bootup and im stuck at black screen.

gotpot903 I'm having the exact same issue. If I have my monitor plugged into DVI and DVI-HDMI into the T.V. I actually get an image on both screens, as soon as I set the resolution (1920x1080) and restart the computer WITHOUT the Monitor connected I see the initial Intel blue boot screen then nothing!! I'm also running a Sony television (60" Bravia SXRD rear-projection). ......anyone out there even following this thread still? It also seems that booting without the T.V. plugged in doesn't work for me either, only booting with the Monitor plugged in as well allows me to get to the desktop :(  ......anyone out there even following this thread still?

BFG 8800GTX
3.5 G Ram
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.86 ghz
Score
September 9, 2009 12:56:56 PM

Hey Guys, I'm having an issue with the similar equipment, Using a Radeon 9000 series video card from the PC DVI to my HDTV Toshiba HDMI input. My TV is recognized alone without the need for any monitors, but the problem is that everytime i reboot the computer I loose the resolution settings. Everything comes back to 800x600... AndI noticed that it was my Radeon drivers that did not boot / or were not recognized at boot up, YET... all I have to do to recognize the drivers is to go to display manager and BOOM, the drivers load and all the different display modes become available to me...

HOW do I get my Graphic card to be recognized on boot up ???? I never got that problem with S-Video.

Thank you
Score
November 24, 2009 10:45:35 PM

I'm trying to connect my PC with an Nvidia Geforce 7600 gs( lame I know, but it was cheap) to a Philips 37pf9431d TV. I have bought a DVI/HDMI cable and connected one end to the DVI output and the other end to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. I have absolutely no image on my screen. While using nvidia control panel, it recognized it as Philips FTV, and said I was connected through VGA which is incorrect I was connected through DVI. To my knowledge I have tried everything except for buying new stuff, because I can't afford it and I would prefer not to. Please help me it's frustrating me majorly
Score
December 2, 2010 2:24:44 AM

I'm having the same issue as gotpot. If I connect my DVI/HDMI cable in and boot my computer (nVidia GT6800) then it shows the initial splash screen and then it freezes and it won't even finish booting. If I boot with it unplugged then it will finish booting and then I can plug the cable back in and it magically works. I assume it has somethign to do with the TV recognizing the different resolutions, but it seems to handle the issue when connected through VGA, but not DVI/HDMI. I have a Samsung ln46c550. Honestly, the DVI doesn't really even look better so I think I'll return the cable and just use VGA. I would love to know why this is happening though and know if there is an answer.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 10:57:20 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!