If I have OC'd my CPU, should I OC my FSB?

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Here's a question, if I have already Overclocked my CPU should I also increase my FSB to speed up everything? Or should I leave well enough alone?

If I should leave the FSB alone, should I then OC the memory individually?

Solution
Faster ram and fsb only really shines in servers and synthetic benchmarks. On the server side it's because of the massive amount of memory being accessed at once, and benchmarks will record any bump in speed as significant. In real world apps (things you will actually be doing) like office, web surfing and even gaming, wont really benefit from overclocking your fsb/ram.

As long as you already have relatively speedy ram, I see no practical reason to overclock them.

I would only overclock my FSB if I didn't have an unlocked multi chip, and if I wanted different/better ram to FSB ratio's.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
You don't need to overclock the fsb or anything else for that matter. Back when Intel for example had the stock FSB of 1066, moving to 1333 netted an increase in overall performance of something like .3 percent if memory serves. Similarly with your AMD setup, you wont gain any significant performance gains by overclocking the fsb or your ram.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Faster ram and fsb only really shines in servers and synthetic benchmarks. On the server side it's because of the massive amount of memory being accessed at once, and benchmarks will record any bump in speed as significant. In real world apps (things you will actually be doing) like office, web surfing and even gaming, wont really benefit from overclocking your fsb/ram.

As long as you already have relatively speedy ram, I see no practical reason to overclock them.

I would only overclock my FSB if I didn't have an unlocked multi chip, and if I wanted different/better ram to FSB ratio's.

Solution