Will my Pentium 4 @ 3.00Ghz bottleneck the 4850?

the tittle says it all. will my Pentium 4 @ 3.00Ghz bottleneck the 4850?

For example with the Need for Speed Underground 2, I played it perfectly with higest graphics. However, sometimes it laggs for 2 o 3 seconds and then great again. I guess it's my micro. What do you think?
15 answers Last reply
More about will pentium 00ghz bottleneck 4850
  1. yes, even top end P4's bottleneck even an 8600GT so yes it is bottlenecking the 4850.
  2. thanks, I'll buy a Q8400
  3. Indeed, i had a P4 system that i wanted to test this with and it ran almost the same (performance-wise) with the following 2 different graphics cards:

Sapphire HD 4850 512 MB
    Sapphire Radeon X1300 Pro 256 MB

Though the 4850 DID run a little better/smoother, there was not much difference in performance... P4's suck even compared to a Pentium D
  4. do you recommend me the Q8400??
  5. no..i recommend P II or q9550
  6. hmmm
  7. I recommend E8400
    Or you can you go with the quad core for future proof
  8. depends on what board you have.
  9. My little bro has an Athlon X2 3800+ system with a ATI 4850. The system runs very slow because the CPU is killing the GPU's potential. The Athlon would wipe the floor with your P4 so I would hesitate about thinking of pairing the 2. I would look towards the Phenom 2 or Intel e8400 if it's mostly for gaming for your next system.
  10. P4s were bottlenecking cards like the X1900 and 7800s!! Lol, I had a X1950 with a 3.2Ghz P4 then put it with a 1.8Ghz C2D and 3DMark06 score went up by 1/3!
    Anyway, you are right to ditch the P4, and then you have to decide what to go for, which I suggest would depend on what you've got at the moment.
    As you have a socket 775 motherboard you may just be able to drop a newer C2D or C2Q chip in, firstly check the CPU support list for your mobo model on the manufacturer's website. (If you can put a newer chip in then a BIOS update will proabably be necessary too - always do this in DOS)
    If you cannot support any high end C2Ds or C2Qs then you will need to buy a new motherboard too, then this poses the question of whether to go i7, PII or C2D/Q.
    I'm sure lots of people will have different opinions on this but my take is if your current mobo will take a E8400 for example and you have 2-4Gb of good DDR2 this will be the cheapest option, a Q9550 would be more expensive but would future proof a bit more and be better for heavy multitasking. If you nee a new mobo and if you have some good DDR2, 4Gb of 800-1066 say, then a newer 775 mobo like a good P45 or X38/X48 and a Q9550 would be a good buy, would give you the option of crossfire and would easily last you for the current i7 generation, or you could go for a similar PII setup. Or if you have the money now you could go i7 in the hope that that would last a bit further - this will of course be a bit more expensive!
  11. I recommend Phenom II X4 940 which is much more powerful than the Q8400 with almost the same price! However, like MMclachlan said, C2D/C2Q will be better choice if they are supported by your current motherboard, as you won't need to pay extra for a new motherboard.
  12. thank you very much, I have Mother ASUS P5KPL-AM, 2 gb ddr2 and I don't have money enough to buy a Q9550, because I'm from Argentina, so, I have already bought Q8200. I think I should Overclock it to get a better performance at gaming.
    Could you tell me how to do it with the Bios version 0513 of ASUS?
  13. 8400 +1
  14. el_toma said:
    thank you very much, I have Mother ASUS P5KPL-AM, 2 gb ddr2 and I don't have money enough to buy a Q9550, because I'm from Argentina, so, I have already bought Q8200. I think I should Overclock it to get a better performance at gaming.
    Could you tell me how to do it with the Bios version 0513 of ASUS?

Hi, you can download the latest BIOS and manual at http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xs6iinKxu0y5agcg&templete=2. Overclocking should be easy by following the steps shown in the manual.
  15. just up the FSB. Easy Overclock.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Bottleneck