Sapphire Radeon 6870 Oc help needed.

Tidus77

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hi,
this morning i went to get my new 6870 and i wanted to OC it a little. In the sapphire box it has an aplication called ThiXX that allows touching GPU core clock, mem clock, and gpu voltaje. I know that ati has the option Ati Overdrive too, but honestly i dont know wich is better.
I dont want to do an extreme overcloking but i need to know how far i can take this board without damange it.
I saw many people increased the GPU clock from 900Mhz to 950Mhz and mem from 1050 to 1150 and it work fine with a temp of 81 grades. Does this reduce the board life?
I am open to any advice, and personal experiencies from people that allready done this before.

Thanks.

Solution
TriXX and ATI Overdrive do exactly the same thing behind the scenes. 950/1150 should be perfectly fine if your card runs at the 80 - 85 degrees and unless your planning on keeping the card for 3+ years there is no reason why the lifespan of your card will be below that with that OC.

Had mine running at a slightly higher speed than that. Temps where steady in the mid 80's running with 100% GPU load. Set it back to stock though becoz atm i have no need for an extra couple of FPS in games if they run 60+ fps. Perhaps in a year or so i might OC it again when i actually need those extra numbers.

Lian

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
TriXX and ATI Overdrive do exactly the same thing behind the scenes. 950/1150 should be perfectly fine if your card runs at the 80 - 85 degrees and unless your planning on keeping the card for 3+ years there is no reason why the lifespan of your card will be below that with that OC.

Had mine running at a slightly higher speed than that. Temps where steady in the mid 80's running with 100% GPU load. Set it back to stock though becoz atm i have no need for an extra couple of FPS in games if they run 60+ fps. Perhaps in a year or so i might OC it again when i actually need those extra numbers.

Solution

Tidus77

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Yes what u say its true i had no need for now.... to get extra Fps in any game but i want to know because i never OCed nothing, so i want to learn for future needs.
Thanks for the replys.

Lian

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

If u just wanna do it for the thrills then give that clock speed a go. Relax!!! It wont blow up! :D Leave it like that for a week or 2... Then clock it back to stock settings OR leave it like that :) Gratz on your first sexy OC! if you choose to keep it.