Sign in with
Your question

OCing i5-750 (temp question)

Last response: in Overclocking
November 17, 2010 10:15:01 PM

So i have an i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz on an ASUS P7P55D EVO mobo. I purchased this mobo/CPU a year ago (last christmas) and at that time i also got an aftermarket HSF. I cannot recall the model, but I remember reading reviews and comparing and it seemed to be a decent one. I have not messed with any processor speeds over the past year, but it's come time for me to try and get this baby to 3.5-3.8 GHz.

I am running prime 95 right now with CPUID Hardware Monitor for my temp readings. I have the BIOS settings on auto, running at a speed of 2808.8 MHz according to CPU-Z. With the stress test running, the temps are sitting around 63/64 C. I'm not sure what % the fan is running at to keep it here (not max for sure), but I have no idea how to monitor the fan speed, or manage it, before I try to overclock. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket HSF should be able to handle the overclock of my scope, but I just would feel more comfortable being able to monitor the fan speed.

Seems like i'm rambling a bit, so hopefully you understand what i'm asking.

EDIT: Here is my HSF link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT: Also, the fan speed is max around 2410 RPM, which is what it hits when running prime95, which then puts the CPU temp at ~64 degrees Celsius. With this HSF and these temps at stock, would it be possible to hit a stable 3.5-3.8 GHz OC?
November 18, 2010 12:21:15 AM

Fan speed should show in hardware monitor. With those temps, you should be able to get to at least 3.6GHz without much trouble. Also, its better to manually set your voltages. Auto settings tend to give your computer a bit more voltage than it needs and therefore makes it run hotter.

Start with stock voltages (keep them off auto. change to normal if you have the option), lower your ram multiplier and raise your Bclk by 5-10MHz and then run Prime95 (Small FFT's) for about 10-15min. then restart and do it again until you get errors. then raise Vcore a notch or 2 and try again.
Make sure you watch temps aswell.

EDIT: After you get to where your happy with it run prime95 for at least 2 hours to make sure its stable (6-8 hours to be safe)
Much past 180Bclk and you might have to start increasing Uncore Voltage as well.
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 5:03:40 AM

your Temperature very very safe for Dailly Using 63/64 C. for max overheat is 70C~72C..
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2010 6:43:57 AM

Your HSF is PWM so it will alter the fan speed for you (anywhere between 900 - 2500 RPM) based on temperature.

I believe you can change the settings in your BIOS somewhere in relation to how aggressive these alterations are but I wouldn't have thought you would need to for something like 3.6Ghz (180x20). Just keep an eye on the temps.

What case do you have? The amount of air flow your case is generating can have an affect on the performance of your heatsink.
m
l
November 18, 2010 3:30:40 PM

Yes, I realized after posting that it was PWM. And with the edit, I stated that the fan speed reached max RPM when holding at 64 degrees Celsius. I was just wondering if upping the speed to 3.6-3.8 GHz, which in turn would need the volts to go up slightly, would it be able to operate at a safe temperature under full load?

Case is a NZXT Zero running stock fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I probably could rearrange/tie off some power cables to allow for slightly increased air flow, along with a good dusting (which was planned on before proceeding to overclock).
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 11:26:17 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] ZXT%20Zero missing something!
use Hyper 212 if OC friendly
use Water Cooling if Extreme
test again until Stable ! Good luck
m
l
November 19, 2010 5:17:23 AM

henydiah said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] ZXT%20Zero missing something!
use Hyper 212 if OC friendly
use Water Cooling if Extreme
test again until Stable ! Good luck

I'm sorry but i'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm not going to go water cooling, and I already have an aftermarket HSF. Is the one i listed in main post not good enough compared to the Hyper 212?
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 5:33:49 AM

ok use tuniq tower 120 extreme !
or check www.frostytech.com you can get more review & compararison all hetsink
m
l
November 19, 2010 7:03:46 AM

masterbunny5 said:
I am running prime 95 right now with CPUID Hardware Monitor for my temp readings. I have the BIOS settings on auto, running at a speed of 2808.8 MHz according to CPU-Z. With the stress test running, the temps are sitting around 63/64 C. I'm not sure what % the fan is running at to keep it here (not max for sure), but I have no idea how to monitor the fan speed, or manage it, before I try to overclock.

You are running prime so your fan speed will be at max. Now 63/64 is quite hot for 2.8Ghz but you said all volts are at auto. Usually when you set voltages to auto the BIOS will give you a little more than is required so you could get away with reducing them for 2.8Ghz. This is probably the reason why your temps, to me, seem a little high. Also, I am sorry to say but your case doesn't look very high air flow. If I am correct that is one 120mm fan on the front :( 

So for 3.6Ghz you could get away with maybe around 1.240v (could be wrong) and depending on mem speeds you may need to fiddle with VTT (max safe is 1.34v).

With my Akasa Nero I have 1.24v running 180BCLK and temps are 63 degrees. your heatsink was good and cheap back in the day but it is a little dated now, you can pick up really good heatsinks for around £30-£35 (or whatever the equivalent is in where ever you come from).

i would say that at 3.6Ghz, with your current setup, your CPU will be hot, but safe. IMO, new heatsink, possibly new case.

Hope this helps....
m
l
November 19, 2010 1:21:07 PM

Peaks said:
You are running prime so your fan speed will be at max. Now 63/64 is quite hot for 2.8Ghz but you said all volts are at auto. Usually when you set voltages to auto the BIOS will give you a little more than is required so you could get away with reducing them for 2.8Ghz. This is probably the reason why your temps, to me, seem a little high. Also, I am sorry to say but your case doesn't look very high air flow. If I am correct that is one 120mm fan on the front :( 

So for 3.6Ghz you could get away with maybe around 1.240v (could be wrong) and depending on mem speeds you may need to fiddle with VTT (max safe is 1.34v).

With my Akasa Nero I have 1.24v running 180BCLK and temps are 63 degrees. your heatsink was good and cheap back in the day but it is a little dated now, you can pick up really good heatsinks for around £30-£35 (or whatever the equivalent is in where ever you come from).

i would say that at 3.6Ghz, with your current setup, your CPU will be hot, but safe. IMO, new heatsink, possibly new case.

Hope this helps....

Any suggestions based on the current market? Preferably somewhat cheaper solutions?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 3:10:21 PM

Your HSF is fine. You can easily get more speed out of it. Read guides on OCing that CPU first. IMO you could do 160 base clock no sweat, probably even 170 base clock with turbo. If you turn turbo off, 4ghz should be do-able although the temps might be getting too high by then. 3.6/3.8 without turbo should have good temps, but with turbo it might be getting on the high side.

Don't exceed 1.4V Vcore or VTT/IMC.

FYI, I'm running 177 base clock, turbo on, LLC off, 1.38V Vcore, 1.25V Vtt, 70C max with a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. (voltages are close to that, I'm not 100% sure right now)
m
l
November 19, 2010 3:48:49 PM

Thank you for the input. I'd like to use as little money here as possible, which in my opinion goes with the overclocking theme. Isnt the point of overclocking to squeeze the most out of your money? Well what would the point be of doing that if I would have to spend near $200 to get a new case and HSF. That's the same as if i would have bought a processor twice as expensive as my current one. I believe my HSF should be fine, especially with a good dusting of it, along with the case. Then do a better job with cable tie-offs to better improve airflow. True I only have 1 front fan, But I do have a top, 4 side, and 2-3 back. Also, want to save the money because I'm looking to upgrade my ATI HD 4850 to something in the $200-$500 range along with a ~$200 monitor.

Thanks for the input, I'll be giving the OCing a shot here in the near future (around christmas probably when I have time).
m
l
!