Sign in with
Your question

CPU white socket chipped?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2009 7:24:50 PM

Hello to all!!
I have a question that someone maybe able to help me with. I have been looking at used mobo's on Ebay and they have one with a cracked retention plate...don't know how it got snapped but ok. My question is...will this run ok with a new cpu? I have looked all over Google and cannot find the answer anywhere. I'm a home builder and thought I might get a Linux box built out of this mobo. I have all the parts to assemble it? I know it's probably junk, but I would really appreciate your input.
Sincerely Yours,
Cincyfan43sc
P.S. An awesome forum by the way...I have been coming here to check on info for a long time. Thanks!!!
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2009 8:09:32 PM

It would help a lot to see a picture of what the damage is. If it's actually the metal retention bracket that's cracked, look to see if the damage would prevent it from applying pressure evenly around all four edges of the CPU. If it's the socket that has damage, make sure that the damage doesn't encroach onto the area where the pin connections are.
m
l
September 6, 2009 1:19:52 AM

sminlal said:
It would help a lot to see a picture of what the damage is. If it's actually the metal retention bracket that's cracked, look to see if the damage would prevent it from applying pressure evenly around all four edges of the CPU. If it's the socket that has damage, make sure that the damage doesn't encroach onto the area where the pin connections are.

Hi sminlal!
I tried to copy a pic of the damage, but couldn't get it to work. But, I can tell you that one of the four corners of the white cpu socket retention plate is cracked off. It probably won't work right and I'm going to let it go. Thank you so much for your interest. Hope to see you around the forums. have a great weekend!!!
Cincyfan43sc
m
l
!