Sign in with
Your question

Is my MOBO dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 5, 2009 7:57:16 PM

Recently built a new computer. Was giving me some issues but last night I was able to get it all up and working. Installed win xp pro 64, all the drivers ect. Decided to call it a night so i turned off the computer (left it plugged in though). When I tried to turn it on this morning, it will start up for about 1 second then shut down. The lights on the MOBO are on (green) and when i turn it on (from either the MOBO itself or the power switch on the case) the fans spin for a second then stop.
I swapped out the power supply with another one I had, same problem. I took out the RAM, the cpu heat sink, video card, HDD, re-seated it all. Same thing. One thing I noticed that was kind of weird is that the CPU HSF does not spin like the rest of the fans do. When i unplug the CPU fan from the socket on the MOBO and plug it into a chassis fan connector it does spin (only for a second though).

So im not sure if the problem is the mother board or the cpu. Any thoughts?

ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45
8 GB Mushkin HP PC2-6400
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Quad Core Processor LGA775
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 633MHZ 896MB
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply
Coolermaster cm 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case
LG GH22NP20 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW

More about : mobo dead

September 5, 2009 8:01:56 PM

Is the CPU over-heating? Have you been able to get the temps from the BIOS?
September 5, 2009 8:05:21 PM

When I first put everything together, the CPU temps in BIOS were getting pretty hot. It started at 40c or so, then climbed up to about almost 70 before i shut it down. But once I installed my OS (xp pro) i installed asus's pc probe, it showed the CPU temp averaging around 35-40c. And the air coming out of the case was pretty cool. I wasnt sure if which was correct so i restarted, went back into bios and it showed the cpu temp at around 50c but stayed around that. Im guessing bios shows the temp as a little bit higher for some reason. Not sure if that helps
Related resources
September 6, 2009 12:04:19 AM

Just an update, I took the disconnected the RAM, HDD, IDE cable and graphics card, turned it on, and none of the fans spun, and no beeps. Put it all back together, and now if i press the power on, nothing happens at all, no fans spin. The two lights on the motherboard (manual turn off and on) are still on.
The only thing i can think of is to take the CPU completely out and put it back in, making sure nothing is clogging any of the holes.
Stumped :( 
September 6, 2009 2:08:59 AM

Ooooh noooo, im an idiot. I never installed the standoffs :(  I think i fried my mother board, and im hoping HOPING, that i can RMA it or something :p  Im also really hoping I didnt fry my ram, vid card, cpu, and everything else :( 

Are the chances real good that i did fry it all besides the mobo?
!