Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer does not detect my second SATA drive

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2010 9:39:11 AM

MY computer currently has two SATA drives installed, one on SATA0 with the OS installed, the other is newer, on SATA1.

The second of these drives does not get detected by the computer's BIOS, and therefore is not detected by the OS either.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte K8VT890-9, and the second drive is a 1TB Hitachi.

Since acquiring the new drive, and finding that BIOS did not auto-discover it straight away, I have swapped the power and SATA cables over between the new and old drives. I have tried each possible combination of SATA0/1 (plug/slot), SATA Cable, SATA Power Cable, and drive, but cannot get both drives working at once (the old drive with the OS always works, possibly because it has an MBR but I cannot be certain).

Fortunately, I have a third SATA drive in a portable case, so I have opened the case and swapped the portable drive with the new drive (did this with the OS drive as well to be thorough). The new drive works fine in the portable drive case (detected via USB), but at the same time the portable drive itself (now in the computer) is now not detected.

The issues appeared to me to be something with the BIOS, so I downloaded the appropriate Gigabyte BIOS utility and updated the BIOS. Updating the BIOS had no effect except that once the OS (Win 7) was booted, it thought it had discovered a floppy drive (I rebooted and edited the BIOS, it seems flashing the bios caused it to change the "FLOPPY DRIVE A" value to "enabled" whereas before I had it disabled).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the cause of this issue may be, and how to get around it?
October 14, 2010 10:04:32 AM

How many SATA ports do you have? Can you try a 3rd port on your motherboard? Does this drive work if you plug it into the port that the current working drive is in?
m
l
October 14, 2010 11:04:18 AM

Hi poisonpanik, thanks for the response! My motherboard unfortunately only has two SATA ports. The drive works, as I said I have a portable drive (USB), and if I transfer the new hard drive into the portable drive chassis, it is recognised via USB and works perfectly.

So I have 3 drives including the portable drive, and no matter which one is in the portable drive chassis, or which ones are plugged into the 2 SATA ports, always one of the two in the SATA ports does not work...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
October 14, 2010 5:06:26 PM

Is this an older motherboard with SATA 1.5Gbit/sec ports? Occasionally some 3Gbit/sec HDDs don't properly auto-negotiate the SATA protocol with some older controllers. The HDD usually has a jumper that will force it to SATA 1.5Gbit/sec mode to solve such problems. If your drive has such a jumper that might be something to try.
October 24, 2010 11:20:29 PM

Best answer selected by pattopancakes.
m
l
October 24, 2010 11:23:30 PM

sminlal said:
Is this an older motherboard with SATA 1.5Gbit/sec ports? Occasionally some 3Gbit/sec HDDs don't properly auto-negotiate the SATA protocol with some older controllers. The HDD usually has a jumper that will force it to SATA 1.5Gbit/sec mode to solve such problems. If your drive has such a jumper that might be something to try.

Thanks sminlal, you were correct in this case, my old motherboard only expects SATAv1. The new drive does not have any jumper options, but the HDD in my portable drive does, so with a jumper update on the drive (from the portable drive), the brand new drive is now the portable drive HDD, the portable drive HDD is now the second HDD in the box.

Not the desired outcome as the drive from the portable is only 644GB, however given the situation this is just fine.

Thanks very much for your help!
m
l
!