Xigmatek S-1238 Dark Knight temperatures

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hi there,

I recently upgraded my stock E8400 intel cooler with the Dark Knight. Arctic MX-2 thermal paste applied as described here (final method).

Intel Idle: 38c
Intel Load: 60c

Xigmatek Idle: 38c
Xigmatek Load: 38c

Idle difference: 0c
Load difference: 22c

So let me get this straight, the idle temperatures are exactly the same, but on load the xigmatek keeps it at 38c? Is that possible?

Thanks for reading, greets Rowan. (btw I find the fan quite noisy compared to the stock intel)

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Idle temperatures can only get as low as your ambient temp, but rarely do. The reason people buy aftermarket HSFs isn't to reduce idle temperatures - the stock HSF does that just fine, it's to keep moving the heat away when things get warmer, which is exactly what you're seeing there.

Nothing wrong with the temps.

As for the fan noise... I've got an S1283 and find it to be pretty much silent so beats me...

NatteDraak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks for the reply, I understand now. I installed Asus FanXpert on "Intelligent" profile, and the fan is almost silent now!

Greets.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i find it hard to believe that temps under load would not change. something is wrong here. no heatsink can keep temps the same at idle and under load.