Single-PCB GTX 295 arrives in May

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13149&Itemid=1

Enjoy!

I see this as a waste of money to do now, but it could help cut production costs and lower the price of the card itself.

Its really stupid how this comes out a couple of months after the 295 GTX came out, which means ppl who spent money on the 295 GTX will have a heater that cost more and pushes air out inside the case.

I guess patience pays off, but I doubt this was the lesson Nvidia was trying to enforce, I call laziness and greed.

295 GTX owners, you know who to complain to if your temps are high:)

I'll say it again, this is what the 295 GTX needed to be.

Still no clock increases apparently, or die shrink.

For shame.

You should be able to overclock it better than the previous 295, though. Honestly, I don't have any idea why manufacturers were using the ludicrous idea of dual PCB graphics cards.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
@frozen, I know why:) Laziness and lack of innovation:)

I mean its the same as the ps3 and ps2, whats easier integrating the emotion engine inside the ps3 or just selling them separately, sometimes the lazy way out helps out with costs, but with video cards, a little innovation can go a long way in my opinion.

I would think that moving the components around on the board and cutting holes in it, as well as creating a cooling solution for dual PCB is far more complex than just a single PCB.

But I'm no electrical engineer, so..

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I don't think so:p in my brain its harder to cram more tech on a smaller surface than having more surface...cutting holes never helped any1.
:D

Its just more components were used, which mean more cost, and now we see why its 700$ for a water cooled bloody 295 GTX:)

for shame!

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
lol what single crown they didn't haven? I didn't get it?

To date its the fastest single slot card on the market...it still has a crown, its just that its so expensive that ppl are moving onto the 4870 X2 which is 100$ less expensive and sometimes insignificant in speed difference.

We'll see where this goes, they could'ev atleast made it a die shrink, OC, or 512 bus width...but I guess its a start

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You mean 'single GPU card' instead of 'single slot'. But ATI held the single-card performance crown, unacceptable in Huang's (or however you spell it) mind.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
No I misread your answer, I thought u said that they are doing the single PCB to get the performance crown lol, but they already had it with the dual PCB.

But I get what you were trying to say:)

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I wonder if they will be as hard to get as the current ones. Or that could be why various OEM's cant seem to keep their products in stock.

Hopefully lower prices come out of this though it may have new competition with that rumored 4890x2.