Keyboard mishap, please help me

ibmthinker

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
i recently left my mom on my computer and came back an hour later and the keyboard wont work. shes said she never got into anything but who knows, the last computer she was on was a typewriter....now after it boots up windows, i can use the mouse, but when i try and type on a search bar nothing happens, just quiet clicks from inside the computer. can anyone please help me? i just got the internet back and i want to use my computer!!!

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
use the mouse to navigate to your hardware, and check the drivers for your keyboard,you dont specify if its a laptop or desktop. try a usb or ps/2 keyboard and see if that works. sounds like a driver issue to me

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Almost every keyboard is Plug-and-Play. SOME keyboards will have extra buttons and features such as function keys which will require drivers, but all basic numbers and letters on the keyboard will work regardless of the drivers installed. This is almost 100% certainly not a driver issue.

----------------

Is your keyboard PS2? or USB?

If its PS2 connection, if it has been unplugged or knocked, your system will need to be re-booted in order for it to work again. PS2 connectors are not "hot-swappable" like USB are. If its a USB, you can still try this:

Power down (shut down)
Unplug Keyboard
Plug back in (if its PS2, you'll have to use the same port) if its USB, try a different USB port
Power System On (Turn on)

If this still doesn't allow the keyboard to work my suggestion would be to try another keyboard with the computer.

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

while that may be partically true, i wrote that very early in the morning, and secondly, MINE none the less, ps/2 and even plug n play USB boards, dont work before the pc is fully booted i cant even get into bios with a plug n play or ps2 untill my pc fully boots and i restart it. hence why i said that. MY personal experience and i was just giving my input,again ps2 and usb controllers need A driver to work correctly if part of the controller isnt working or corrupt then it would cause the device to fail no? again,im not here to flame or argue, im just going by what i know and my experiences, as well as im a newcomer on here and just trying to help to the best i can so my apologies :X

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

The theory that a driver is needed for a keyboard to work cannot be true. Controller maybe, driver no. When building a computer the drivers are the last thing to be installed (more or less anyway). Building the hardware components, powering on, entering the BIOS, setting up any necessary RAID settings, entering Windows information is all done before any drivers are installed and all of which tasks require a working keyboard.

Many more modern keyboards will come with drivers or 3rd party software in order for function keys/extra keys to work. This also applies to laptops. However, A-Z and 0-9 will always work.

For the OP to check regardless, to view for any driver issues, navigate to Start > Right Click Computer > Click Manage > Click Device Manager > Check within Device Manager for any warning symbols or icons out of place.

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

ahh okay yes, that is what i meant. my terminology is usually wrong when i try to explain things.