Using cardboard as an insulator

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
The metal back plate on my new coolermaster V8 heat sync touches the back of my case causing my motherboard to short and I was thinking of putting some insulating material in between the back plate and the motherboard. I don't really know any good non conductive materials to put in a computer and was thinking of using some cardboard but am not sure if that would be something you would want a couple millimeters away from a chip that can get 70*C +. If I didn't use cardboard could I use electrical tape or duct tape instead?

If the motherboard shorted out you might have other problems to worry about. Have you run the system with back side panel off yet?
Since you already have a clearance issue I can't see cardboard helping that out any. So I'm thinking electrical tape.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
OK so if I shorted my motherboard are there any chances that it still works because I have seen other people on the internet that have shorted their motherboard and they got it working again.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
What would that do?

EDIT: I just finished putting electrical tape on the motherboard tray where the metal parts were contacting and still the same thing... so is there anyway I could still get this to work or is my computer done?

I was thinking you could cut out the area of the motherboard tray under the back plate. A rather extreme mod, but the only other options I see are a different CPU cooler or different case.

You might be able to find (if you're lucky) some longer motherboard standoffs that would fit your case. But I think you'd have other problems, like the IO panel and card slots not lining up with the case.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah the backplate did have insulating tape right near the parts where you screw it which was facing the motherboard but I think I screwed it on too tight and made it contact the rest of the plate which was uncovered metal.

Even if it was installed correctly it should have worked when I covered the motherboard tray with electrical tape.

Is there anyway that the electrical tape I used wasn't enough to insulate the motherboard?

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
It didn't work, so the last thing I am going to do is just replace the V8 with the stock cooler and see what happens. If it still doesn't work after that, then I give up and ill have to make $1500 doing odd-jobs around the house :cry:

This is probably my first and last time using an aftermarket cooler with a backplate. I guess ill just stick to using the intel stock cooler and doing very small overclocks for my future builds. Meh...no big deal its not like there's a huge difference between 3 and 4GHz in games anyway.

EAZY-E

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
1500$! what mobo do you have bro?! Im fairly certain that if it shorted, the rest of your rig is ok, just that your mobo is dead :).

As a last ditch attempt you might wanna clear your cmos, i have no idea if that could fix a short but its worth a try :).

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Well I don't REALLY need to get a new system but I kind of want to start from scratch after this "incident". Is there anyway to get a sort of reimbursement from cooler master because I don't think this is totally my fault as I carefully followed the directions that came with it and screwed the backplate on until nothing wobbled anymore. I don't understand why so few people have had this exact incident before...maybe my case is designed differently???

I haven't tested it without the V8 on using the stock intel cooler and am going to tomorrow morning but I doubt it will change anything. :( Also about clearing the CMOS I have the ASUS P6T and on the motherboard there is a reset and a power button does the reset button clear the CMOS or this there some sort of jumper pin I have to connect? If the reset button does clear the CMOS I already tried that and it still doesn't work...

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
OK so your saying that my CPU is probably fine???? I hope your right because I was getting ready to poke a hole through it to make a core i7 necklace :D

2flow

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Why dont you use a metal hole saw or just use a jigsaw. Cut a hole at that location so that that CPU backplate has nothing to touch.

bill1024

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
I would take the MB out of the case,
and run it on a piece of cardboard.
If there is still a problem, put the stock cooler on and try it.

Maybe one of the mounting screws is in the wrong place
and is shorting out the bottom of the mb.

You could. I would turn the "bag" inside out or leave stanoffs inplace. Many individuals do this with NO problems. The way antistatic bags are constructed is the outside is a high resitance conductive layer to disipate a static charge (generaly megohms) while the inside of the "bag" is insulative so that the charge on the outside is not transfered to the circuit card.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
There were punctures in the bag from having the motherboard being placed on it before so I decided to run it directly on the box that it came with. I tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper and ran it without any hardrives or optical drives and I still got the blank screen. The North and South bridge heatsinks felt warm to the touch after I manually shut it down, does that mean anything or can it still be fried? Also I felt the nickel plated block that was directly touching the CPU and it felt slightly warmer than room temperature. I haven't yet tried it with the stock intel heatsink and am going to see if that works or not.

bill1024

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
Clear cmos, use 1 stick of ram.
Try stock cooler, maybe try another video card, and/or monitor.
Try it with no mouse, keyboard, drives.
Do you get any beeps, error codes?
Good luck.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
FINALLY I got something displayed on the screen, I booted with 1 stick of RAM and it worked!!!!

Why would removing ram modules do anything though?

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
OK now my motherboard will POST with 1 stick of RAM but not with more... I swapped RAM modules and none appear faulty its just that if I use more than one stick it doesn't work!