2 TB Sata Drive not recognized in Windows Vista. HELP!

Just got myself a Seagate 2 TB internal hard drive. Plugged it in and booted windows Vista. Nothing shows up. Here's the troubleshooting i've done so far...but first, my specs:

Sata channels on my motherboard (XFX 680i LT Nvidia chipset): 6 SATA channel
Sata drives installed: 1(250 GB) + 1 (150 GB) + the one i'm trying to install (2 TB)

Troubleshooting:
- I looked in my BIOS and it shows up as a (2000GB) hard drive.
- I tried switching my sata cable between my 6 channels including the ones originally plugged in my 2 installed SATA drives.

The only difference between my 2 installed hard drives and my new one is the power unit. My old are powered by the 4 pins plugs whereas the new hard drive is powered by the new sata plugs. However, I really don't think this is the problem because my bios recognizes my hard drive (it's windows that doesn't).

Is there anything I should do in Windows to get this drive to be recognized?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alex
8 answers Last reply
More about sata drive recognized windows vista help
  1. Quote:
    my first comment is:
    the more reason to get off vista and move to windows 7...
    now for the solution:
    right click on the my computer icon and go to management / computer management window will appear,
    look for disk management on tree left hand-side.
    activate or enable disk (HDD).

I also want Windows 7 but unlike many people, I buy Windows and considering that I've had to buy 2 copies of Windows Vista in the last 3 years (PC and Laptop)...I want to extend my purchase for a little while longer (maybe until a good SP pack for Windows 7 comes out) or when I get hyped about a game that would fully use DX11 (Metro doesn't count).

As for your solution: thank you. I will try this when I get home tonight.
  2. To expand on malmental's comment - once you've got Disk Management running you need to look for your disk in the LOWER portion of the RIGHT pane. If it doesn't show as having a drive letter then you need to right-click it, create a volume, and format it. That will assign a drive letter and then it will show up in Windows Explorer.
  3. not that i like Vista better than win7... i use a win7 myself...
    but i don't think it would have made a difference if it were a win7... or would it? o.O
    as far as i know on win7 when you install a new hdd you still need to go to Disk Management and format the drive and etc....
    just like installing a new hdd on vista
  4. Thanks guys, I'll try this out tonight.
  5. tomate2 said:
    as far as i know on win7 when you install a new hdd you still need to go to Disk Management and format the drive and etc.... just like installing a new hdd on vista
    Yes, it's been that way for as long as I can remember - certainly back as far as XP and probably to Window 2000 as well.
  6. Some drives might also require you to right click and Online it (In diskmgmt.msc) before you can do anything else with it.
  7. Best answer selected by Alex The PC Gamer.
  8. Quote:
    glad it worked..

Ya. thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Windows Vista Storage