Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2009 6:23:42 PM

Okay so I basiclly am retarded when it comes to computers and how to make them faster...... I us my computer for gaming and play Warhammer online..... and really want to bust my FPS. I just instaled vista 64 bit so I could get my comp to recognize more memory and instaled 3g more memory. I am now at 6g and nolonger using all memory to run the game. I also bought and installed new Visiontex Radeon HD 4870 512mb graphics card and 550 power supply. The game is curentlly running at about 25-30 FPS on balanced settings. Her is my computer.........

HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f PC
AMD Phenom tm9500
Quad Core Processor
6000+ MB System Memory
720gb Hard Drive
550 Power Supply
Raeon HD 4870 512mb Graphics Card
Windows Vista 64bit
22" wide flatpanel monitor 1680x1050

I realy havnt noticed a huge diffrence like I thought I would with the new graphics card and am considering returning it. Any suggestions on what I should do and or a diffrent graphics card / power supply if I return the one I just instaled. I can afford to spend around $500 on Graphics Card and Power supply.

More about : advice graphics card

April 14, 2009 7:12:02 PM

If you are running max resolution you are going to get low FPS like that. You might wanna drop your anti aliasing, your resolution or your in game detail to get better FPS as well.

Also try going to ATi's web site and getting the latest drivers.

But honeslty in a game like that you should expect those kind of frames.

30fps is all the eye can see anyways you don't need anymore :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2009 7:22:41 PM

well, what video card did you come from
Related resources
April 14, 2009 10:58:56 PM

I originaly had a Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT Graphics Card. I will try lowering the anti aliasis whatever that is and or the resolution I already have latest drivers instaled. I dont realy want to lower the in game graphics lower then the balanced settings with shader and water effects off because that would put me basicly back where I was before I instaled new graphics card............. Maby I just expected way to much after spending all this money to make the game graphics and fps better not sure?
April 14, 2009 11:25:57 PM

Instead of turning down effects, turning down AA, and changing resolution, you may want to look at your network. Warhammer Online FPS would depend alot on your network connection. Do you have DSL or Cable? Do you have at least 3 MBps? Are you on WiFi or wired?

Do you play any other games where you can compare your previous FPS?
April 14, 2009 11:48:00 PM

I have Comcast high speed internet conection not sure that type all I now is it uses same cable connection as my tv. Comcast said it is the fastest internet service they provide. Not sure if this is right but on my task manager on network tab it says local area conn.... link sp....100Mbps

Not playing any other games at the moment.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2009 7:45:20 AM

Either that card is borked (broken in some fashion) or there's something wrong with your system's software, which would include your OS, all your drivers, and Direct X.

Did you do a clean Vista-64 install, or install over your old OS? If it wasn't a clean install with full 64-bit driver support, then I'd say do it. Get 64-bit drivers for everything, burn 'em to CD/DVD, format, and start over.

I played Warhammer Online for a while on a far less powerful PC (though it was XP, not Vista) and only experienced such slowdowns in balanced mode w/ shaders/reflections on during City Raids.
April 15, 2009 6:05:54 PM

Im not sure if I did a clean instal or if I instaled over vista 32 bit. I think I instaled over old OS. I had 64 OS disc in disc drive and restarted my computer and when the prompt to hit any key to run disc came up I hit enter and instaled new OS. How do I tell if I have the right drivers and or get the right ones? Also if needed how do I do a clean instal if I need to?
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 2:47:58 AM

If you didn't do a clean install, you should. If you have any doubt you didn't do a clean install, you should. Beforehand, backup any important files onto CD/DVD or whatever, download ALL the necessary 64-bit drivers for all your devices, format, and reinstall.

That or try running WarHammer Online in 32-bit mode and see how it performs. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd proceed with the formatting...
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 3:01:14 AM

you cant just install 64 bit vista on any system. if your system wasnt 64 bit, i dunno if that even will work but it certainly wont allow for more ram. just a note, the 4gb ram limit on 32 bit architecture is technical, has nothing to do with windows
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 3:45:37 AM

uncfan:

I have a 32-bit OS, but all my hardware supports 64-bit OS. Guess what I could do? I could install a 64-bit OS. It would also use the missing portion of my 4GB of RAM, giving me full access to all of it, whereas my 32-bit OS only gives me access to 3.25GB of it. It has everything to do with Windows... More so what version you're using than Windows itself, but I think you get my point.
April 16, 2009 3:46:49 AM

32 bit wont recognize more then 4G and I was using all my memory to run war and getting blue screened out off the game. I upgraded to 64 bit so I could add more memory so that wouldnt happen. My cumputer is perfectly capable of running 64 bit checked that out before I bought the 64bit OS.

How do I check to see if all the drivers updated to 64 bit?
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 4:00:10 AM

I don't know if there's any way you can, other than looking at the actual driver install file and comparing it to new 64-bit drivers you find on the support websites. You should be looking for them now anyway in case you decide to format and reinstall. And honestly, I still highly recommend doing that. This would completely rid your system of all remnants from the 32-bit OS.
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 10:02:26 PM

RazberyBandit said:
uncfan:

I have a 32-bit OS, but all my hardware supports 64-bit OS. Guess what I could do? I could install a 64-bit OS. It would also use the missing portion of my 4GB of RAM, giving me full access to all of it, whereas my 32-bit OS only gives me access to 3.25GB of it. It has everything to do with Windows... More so what version you're using than Windows itself, but I think you get my point.

oh see we werent talking bout the same thing. i thought , no offense u have to assume this with everyone, i thought u were a noob who thought that 32/64 bit was just dealing with software. in that case, you're right.

side note : i didnt know 32 bit os' worked on 64 bit hardware.................
April 19, 2009 6:37:49 PM

I just want to say thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I ended up taking my computer in to have a pro look at everything and it works. I think the biggest reason I was experiancing lag and slower fps is due to the large population on the server I play WAR on. Thanks again
!