Correct procedure for updating NVIDIA drivers?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
In the case that i feel the need to replace my old drivers... especially since the 185 drivers might come out soon...

What's the way to go about it? do i have to uninstall my old drivers, or do i simply install the new drivers over the old ones?

You can just run the installer; this keeps the old files/installer around if you need to downgrade in the future. That being said, this leaves the possibility of .dll conflict, especially if a new .dll is created/removed between releases.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

do i have to worry about that if i took the easy way out?

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Uninstalling first is really quite simple, and a lot more certain.

new driver ready to install / control panel / add/remove programs / select driver / select remove display driver only / do it / restart / install new driver / restart / enjoy.

I've never had to use a cleaner, or had much troubles with drivers doing it this way.

As I said, you don't HAVE to uninstall, its just highly recommended. As long as you don't skip WHQL releases, you should be able to simply install over the existing drivers, although any signs of trouble should lead to a driver sweep. All old drivers are stored on the computer by default, although as the .dll files are never referenced, should not cause any conflicts.

All GFX cards can display 640x480, 256 color native, as required by M$ standards. If no display driver is present, this becomes the native resolution.

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

I'm not sure. It must have a similar program manager, though.