Reformatting windows after changing components?

smithinator101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I am about to upgrade my motherboard an CPU ( my computer is running xp pro) and i was wondering if i would have to reinstall the OS? Because i have talked to people that stay you wont have to and others that say you will, it is really confusing :heink: I would also like to know if i had to reinstall it would i be able to with a backup disk i have created or would i have to use the original software disks ( which i don't have) thanks for the help in advance :)

jlear3

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
when i changed my mobo last time, i didnt reformat or nething, just booted up, installed drivers worked fine... but thats not the right thing to do

when you install new hardware specially a Mb it requires drivers, and so did your last one, so when you boot up with old os you have the old drivers and its very likely to get your mobo confuzed on which to use, so you would be better off just formatting your hdd to solve likely future problems

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
While I agree with most of the points jlear3 made, I don't really think a reformat is needed. Windows will automatically detect all the new hardware and install most of the drivers it has in its database...for anything it doesn't have just go into your device manager and update the drivers manually. I think what you might have heard people refer to is the license issue...if you have an oem license it will usually want you to reactivate it when you make major hardware changes. As long as you have your original product key you should be good, but you might have to call microsoft if it doesn't go through. The other option is to use an activation utility, but some people frown on those.

jlear3

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

definitely completes the feel of a new computer.

smithinator101

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
i am going to make a lot of changes to my PC over the next few months the last upgrade i am going to make is the OS, could i just uninstall all of the old mobo drivers and install the new ones after i install my new mobo/cpu?