What is the next step in overclocking Phenom after adjusting mulitipli

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, so my Phenom II 555 is now running stable at 3.9Ghz after solely adjusting the multiplier at 19.5x. At this speed, my CPU temp maxed at 37C while running Prime95 for hours. (Note: I am using a Tuniq Tower for cooling and at 20x mulitplier, the computer crashed.)

So, what is my next step? Should I increase the FSB or just increase the cpu voltage? I want to separately adjust RAM speed later if possible. Keep in mind that my MSI 890FX-GD70 has several options for adjusting voltages, so please be as descriptive as possible. I need precise steps towards achieving the maximum results. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Below is a list of all the available voltages in the BIOS I can adjust, can you explain what they all mean???

CPU VDD VOLTAGE
CPU-NB VDD VOLTAGE
CPU VOLTAGE
CPU-NB VOLTAGE
CPU-PLL VOLTAGE
CPU DDR-PHY VOLTAGE
DRAM VOLTAGE
DDR VREF VOLTAGE
DDR VTT VOLTAGE
NB VOLTAGE
NB PCI-E VOLTAGE
HT LINK VOLTAGE
SB VOLTAGE

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I figured it out. However, at 19.5x multi I could run stock voltage of 1.375. In order to maintain stability at x20 multi I am running the voltage at 1.425 (Note: it crashed at 1.4 and 1.4125). Should I continue to push the voltage up or be happy with 3.9Ghz?

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply.

If you want keep the CPU for few years, I'd not go above 1.45V or 1.48V.

Regarding the BIOS, you only need rise this:

1- CPU voltage
2- CPU-NB voltage (If you changed the NB frequency, if not set to auto)
3- DRAM voltage (If you set the RAM timings manually)
4- NB voltage (If you change the NB frequency, if not set to auto)

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I changed the CPU VDD voltage and this seems to have worked. I ran Prime95 for two hours at 20x multi and nothing crashed. Today I am running a 20.5x multi at 1.475. Hopefully this works. If I can get this to run 4.1Ghz I will be happy as it allows me to beat my friend who hates AMD's and spent 3x what I did to overclock a Core 2 Duo.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, for some reason now everytime I run Prime95 I get the BSOD after about an hour. I am currently running a 20x multi at 1.463v. I've been upping the voltage everytime it happens. Should I keep moving it up. (Note: I am still under 40C.)

Status
Not open for further replies.