Sign in with
Your question

Which card to buy?

Last response: in Components
June 25, 2009 12:04:29 AM

I'm looking for a card to replace my on-board sound. (I have a Asus p6t mobo).

I expected to come to this forum to see some top recommendations, but it appears there's a lack of consensus. What card should I go with if I just want better sound for gaming with headphones, iTunes, etc? i'd like to spend around a hundred bucks. I'll spend more if someone gives me a reason? Besides the top sellers on newegg, what are the best cards right now? What are the most important features to look for besides 7.1?

looking forward to your responses.

More about : card buy

June 25, 2009 1:00:58 AM

dragnalus you have a x58 mobo and the mobo has great sound from what I have read.onboard sound is alote batter than they were 10 years ago,that why I have have used onboard sound for the last ten year and it's been great.I play pc games with headset to and I like spending my money on a good headset.
June 25, 2009 3:47:02 PM

major53 said:
dragnalus you have a x58 mobo and the mobo has great sound from what I have read.onboard sound is alote batter than they were 10 years ago,that why I have have used onboard sound for the last ten year and it's been great.I play pc games with headset to and I like spending my money on a good headset.

Yeah the onboard sound isn't too bad, however I've been having some issues that I think might be easily addressed with a new soundcard. Like when I play EVE, panning fails really hard... I'll switch camera angles, and when the sound pans from one ear to the other it does it suddenly without a true "pan". It just switches ears. Thought I could get better 3D sound for games with a soundcard maybe.
Related resources
June 25, 2009 4:09:48 PM

dragnalus you mite look at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... also try reloading sound driver for that mother board.and if you have a extra set of head set you could try that to.also need to ask a question is eve a good game ? been looking at it and it looks pretty good.hope this helps you.
June 25, 2009 7:29:01 PM

thanks major. yeah i should try another headset because mine is new. that soundcard you linked is pretty nice... it was one that i've been looking at and wondering about.

great idea on updating the drivers.

EVE is pretty cool, but I'm BRAND new and am still learning the ropes. the learning curve for newbies is STEEP. i'm just finishing up my 14 day trial... you should give the free trial a try and see if you like it. i have a lot to learn.
June 26, 2009 3:48:18 PM

Hellooo. From what I've read, the omega striker is a card that delivers excellent sound quality. However, it's more suited for movies and music than games (3D positioning). May I suggest you try a PCI-E x1 Card instead as they're usually above the x16 slots. SLI/Crossfire setups and GPU heatsink nowadays tend to make it difficult to use PCI devices (Physical constraints as well as the GPU/GPUs blowing heat right into them).

I'm planning on buying Creative's X-Fi Titanium (Don't confuse it with all the fatality variations. They're a bit overkill for me) because I can get it at a very good price. The Auzentech Forte is 7.1 and also has an X-Fi chip in it (EAX 5.0 :D ). Auzentech tends to have better driver support than Creative it would seem. There has been some issues with both cards with Vista (especially x64) and W7 but Daniel K drivers for the cards seem to resolve this.

As for EVE, I played it for a few years so if any of you have any questions about it, ask away!
!