Sign in with
Your question

SLI GTX 460s Temperature

Last response: in Overclocking
November 18, 2010 4:14:21 PM

Hello,

First time poster here so please bear with me.

I'm reading some pretty high temperatures on my system and wanted to verify that temperature wise I am safe. I tried Googling the information but really can't seem to get a straight answer.

Here is my current system config.

Motherboard-Asus Sabertooth x58
Graphics- x2 Zotac AMP! 460gtx 1gig
Processor-i7 950 3.06-stock heatsink
Case: Coolmaster 932 HAF
PSU-850 Rosewill
Memory- Gkill 3x4gig 1600 ddr3

all stock settings no OC.

When I run Bad Company 2 I'm getting temps of

GPU1:76-80C
GPU2:60-75 C
CPU:55-60C

using Speedfan

Basically, these temps seem high to me. A lot of people are stating that the hardware can run upwards of 100C but that is obviously not a good idea.

Are these safe temperatures to be getting for my rig?

Thanks for your input.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 4:23:17 PM

Those temps aren't too bad, maybe a little warm, they can run safely in the mid 80's Celsius with no problems. Have you tried creating a fan profile in MSI Afterburner? That will most likely lower your temps quite a bit. Nvidia default fan profiles suck and wait way too long to increase fan speed. I was getting mid 80c with my gtx 285 and was able to knock it down 10c using MSI Afterburner, and the fan was still reasonably quiet.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 4:32:20 PM

If those are the high temps you're getting while playing Bad Company you are in the clear.

The temps for the CPU seem pretty accurate as you're using the Stock HS/F

The temps for GPU # 1 might be a little warm but those Fermi's can take a beating in the temp department

Like Sports Fanboy said, create a fan profile for the video cards and you'll see lower temps and likely lower your CPU temps a degree or two...
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2010 4:33:28 PM

that is also another question I have. I read into using programs like Rivatuner to adjust fan speed. Is this adjusting case fan speed or graphics card fan speed? I am under the assumption that it is graphic fan speed being that the case fans are wired to the psu.

I also read that plugging your monitor into your second lower graphics card can also help disperse heat more evenly.

Thanks for your response!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 4:36:51 PM

Rivatuner and other programs let you build video card settings profiles, there's a pretty decent one bundled with the Nvidia drivers/software.

As for the monitor trick, i haven't tried it but it sounds like a myth to me...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 4:46:05 PM

+1 As sportsfanboy suggested, a fan profile will decrease the temps marginally-
At a higher temp, a higher fan rpm will kick in -
m
l
November 18, 2010 8:26:09 PM

Hi! Thanks for the quick responses you have all been lots of help.

I'm looking into getting a little more cooling into the system in addition to running a fan profile.

I would obviously like to avoid using liquid cooling methods due to the work that I would have to put into it I'm not lazy just don't know how to do it and would take time to learn.

Do you have any additional advice for cooling options?

I am going to add an aftermarket heatsink if I can find one that I like.

I'm looking for additional methods to cool the graphics cards.

I would like to get the temperature down as far as possible with air cooling methods. I know I could invest in other cases, but I'm pretty sure the 932 is a pretty good.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 8:49:29 PM

When we said a little warm, we meant just that, you really don't have to worry about the temps of those video cards, they can withstand much higher temps, just build a fan profile and they'll lower...

As for the CPU, that is fine as well but you can also get an aftermarket cooler to lower the temps.
m
l
November 19, 2010 5:47:07 AM

Hey thanks for all the help

Right now using MSI afterburner I'm operating at 72 c consistently running Battefield BC at high with my fans going at 100%

I'm still getting 60C on my CPU but I ordered a new heatsink to remedy this.

Do you guys normally hook your case fans up to your mobo to control the case fans speeds or do you just plug them in and let them go at whatever.?

Also do you have any recommendations for profile settings right now I have

30c = 30 fan speed
40c=40 fan speed
50c=50 fan speed
60c=70 fan speed
65c=90 fan speed
70c=100 fan speed

I'm not sure I understand the inner workings so I guess I just wanted to see if this made sense.

Thanks this has helped me a lot I've learned a lot on my first SLI setup.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 6:25:26 AM

Yeah thats better-
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 11:21:06 AM

MatteDotCom said:
Do you guys normally hook your case fans up to your mobo to control the case fans speeds or do you just plug them in and let them go at whatever.?

Also do you have any recommendations for profile settings right now I have

30c = 30 fan speed
40c=40 fan speed
50c=50 fan speed
60c=70 fan speed
65c=90 fan speed
70c=100 fan speed

I use a fan controller for most of my case fans, and the couple that are hooked up to the mobo, I set them to 70% in bios to keep them quiet. I like the fan controller because I can do similar things to afterburner with my cpu and exhaust fans on the fly as needed. The only thing I can see that I would change is the 90 and 100 percent fan speeds at 65c and 70c. It must get awfully loud running the fan full tilt. Maybe try a lower percent and see how the thermals are. 70c is cooler than you need to be unless the fan noise doesn't bother you.
m
l
!