Sign in with
Your question

Permanently disable hardware detect? (How to...?)

Last response: in Windows XP
August 23, 2011 11:15:31 AM

Hi All,

Having some issues on an 'old' machine following installing a new GPU.

It seems that everytime it boots up it goes reeeeeeeeally slow and takes forever to boot up, and then when Windows does finally load it keeps 'detecting' a PCI device and Microsoft UAA Audio manager - and the CPU is at 100%

When i (at a snails pace...) disable the Microsoft UAA in Task Manager, CPU useage drops back to normal and the machine is fine again, and lookign all nice and shiny and beautiful with the new GPU.

I've updated all the drivers, and updated everything i can think of (save Bios, which i can't seem to get into on the machine...) but still it doesn't seem to like something about the new card...

So - how do i get the blasted machine to stop 'finding' the hardware?

Any help is really appreciated, and could potentially save me throwing the machine out the window :) 

Thanks!

- Robert
Related resources
August 25, 2011 9:09:19 AM

Nope... Unfortunately didn't work - Any other suggestions? :( 

- Robert
August 25, 2011 12:15:25 PM

So do you have a PCI sound card? have you tried getting drivers for that?
August 25, 2011 1:31:54 PM

AntiZig said:
So do you have a PCI sound card? have you tried getting drivers for that?

Nope - It only has on-board sound from the motherboard.

I considered buying a sound card to plug in to 'take over' the sound handling, but wasn't sure if there was a way to fix this with software/systems, rather than buying old hardware for a machine i hope to replace entirely in 6months

Thanks

- Robert
August 25, 2011 4:05:35 PM

you didn't answer my second question. Most of the time the mobo drivers should include the built-in chipset drivers, but occasionally it is beneficial to check the chipset manufacturer website for driver, even if it's a built-in.
August 25, 2011 4:11:31 PM

AntiZig said:
you didn't answer my second question. Most of the time the mobo drivers should include the built-in chipset drivers, but occasionally it is beneficial to check the chipset manufacturer website for driver, even if it's a built-in.

Apologies if there was any misunderstanding; i don't have any kind of separate PCI (as in PCI slot) card, and everything according to Device Manager 'has the best version available' for all drivers (i went through pretty much everything one by one to check... Was a long and frustrating process!)

I downloaded one of the 'fix all driver' programs (DriverBoost) i believe, although was somewhat frustrated to find i need to spend £30 to actually get it to work, without any guarantees it will make any difference at all (or any guarantees it is a driver issue at all).

I was reading about potential driver issues if one has more than one of the same installed - are all drivers saved somewhere on one's machine? (i.e. can i have a look in a folder and see if any duplicates are there that i could/should delete? Or any way to wipe the slate clean and try re-installing them all from scratch?)

Everything worked fine until i installed the new graphics card; but again, the card manufacturer site confirms i have the right/latest versions of the drivers for it...

Thanks for the help/suggestions - really is appreciated!

- Robert

August 25, 2011 5:50:29 PM

windows telling you that your got the best driver installed doesn't mean much, especially in XP case.

you want to hit the hardware manufacturer websites for latest drivers. Problems after installing new graphics card I'm thinking that your motherboard need a driver update, most likely due to old drivers having issues with a new video card.

driver boost, well, I'm gonna say this, I haven't used it myself, so I won't diss it since I don't know how good it actually is and whether it is worth the money they are asking for. Regardless you don't have to pay them, they should at least tell you which drivers are outdated so you can go and try to download latest drivers yourself.

All that said, again, a sure way to make sure you got the latest drivers is to go to the place where the drives come from - the company that makes the hardware, they are the ones writing the drivers for it. Driverboost might be a good offering of a shortcut, but as you already said, it gives you no guarantees.

You are correct in assuming that drivers are saved on one's machine. When you install the drivers they are typically appropriated on your HDD in either windows drivers directory or elsewhere (depending on where they are expected to be found by OS). Looking at them in drivers folder will not bring you much relief since most of those files will be .dll libraries which you won't be able to read anyway. Not all of them have descriptive names that would tell you which part of hardware the driver is for, and even if you do find a driver version number you have to check it against some source to check if it's the latest or not. And once again, that source is the manufacturer support website that should have the drivers for the hardware that they made some years ago.
August 26, 2011 6:47:24 AM

its easy bro check all the settings in the bios ir it reset after turn on it again then replace the cmos battery in the mother board it will be work fine...

all done dont forget to say me thanks if its working if dosent work contact me @ RAGHAV_GROUP70@yahoo.com
August 26, 2011 7:55:06 AM

AntiZig said:
...a sure way to make sure you got the latest drivers is to go to the place where the drives come from - the company that makes the hardware, they are the ones writing the drivers for it. Driverboost might be a good offering of a shortcut, but as you already said, it gives you no guarantees.

Fair enough - guess i was putting a little too much faith in XP to 'know' what is up to date and what isn't; i'll check over the weekend to see whether i can find the motherboard website and see what drivers i can find there; i did actually do this for the GPU (i.e. went direct to the manufacturers site) so will have a dig around - thank you!

RAGHAV SHARMA said:
its easy bro check all the settings in the bios ir it reset after turn on it again then replace the cmos battery in the mother board it will be work fine...

Re: this - would love to get into BIOS, but don't seem to be able to (have tried F1-F10, as well as [Esc] and [Del] - don't know whether it is an issue with my keyboard (USB wireless) or i'm missing something, but i don't seem to be able to access BIOS.

Having said that, not entirely sure what you are suggesting i do when/if i get there - and Re: taking out the battery? Umm... Forgive me, but how would this help with driver conflicts?

Thanks all.

- Robert
July 18, 2013 6:34:47 AM

Any fix this? It's happening to me
!