Cooling advice for i7-860/HAF 922

bruticis

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I'd like to do some overclocking on my i7-860 and need to find a good cooling solution. Currently I'm debating on the Scythe Mugen-2, Prolimatech Mega, Corsair H50, and the Thermalright CoGage True Spirit. My concerns are clearance in my HAF 922 (I'd like to NOT have to remove the side panel fan if I can) and blocking the RAM slots on my Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (I'm only using two sticks, so it's not going to be a huge issue if it blocks the first RAM slot). Does anyone have any advice or other cooler thoughts?

bruticis

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Thanks for the input. I've read several reviews on it and browsed some forums. Worst I've seen is that it doesn't cool as well as a more expensive air cooler. I can get the H50 for 60 bucks and I'd add another fan... For the money and the space it saves me, I didn't think it was a bad deal. What's the problem with it aside from the cooling not being great? That said, I'd rather have a great air cooler (budget is about 80 bucks or so) IF it works in my case with the RAM and side fan.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
H50's are prone to leaking; not all, but a decent number of them have...or failed. The H70's perform a little better, but they are still new enough that we haven't seen much failure to this point. Still underpowered and average performing...expensive performance per dollar.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I would say either the thermalright silver arrow or the Noctua NH-D14. Bare in mind tho that while the Silver Arrow might be cheaper, as quiet and slightly better than the Noctua at anything up to around 1.35v, it completely falls down after that. So it all depends on how much you are planning on overclocking. Read this review if you are interested. It is using an 17-930 tho.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermalright_silver_arrow_vs_noctua_nh-d14/1

Not sure but with either of these coolers you may have to remove the side fan, they are both pretty big. Also no heatsinks on RAM. Both the H50 and H70 are rip off imo, I have never heard of them leaking though.

Additionally for a cheap but uber good cooler you could look into:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermaltake-frio-cl-p0564-dual-120mm-fan-socket-775-1156-1366-am2-am3-cpu-cooler

UK prices tho sorry. You wouldn't have to remove the side fan. Scythe Mugen-2 also good!!

TRENDING THREADS