Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is Raid 5 the best array for .mkv;s?

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2010 9:07:45 PM

I have 1.6TB of MKV's on a 2TB Hitachi (0F10311), want to expand to 3 in raid 5, is it the best array for this application?
Do I need to buy 3 and ghost the files from original drive?

More about : raid array mkv

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 14, 2010 9:56:32 PM

First things first, you'll need to back up any data that you wish to keep, because you must reformat your drives to create a RAID array.

It's impossible to say what the best RAID level would be for you, because you never actually told us what your application was. If you're looking for more storage plus redundancy, then yes, RAID5 would be a good option. I'm gonna get a little "RPG" with my analogies here, so I aplogize :D 

RAID0 will give you +storage and +speed
RAID1 will give you redundancy (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH BACKUP *)
RAID5 will give you +speed, +storage, and redundancy (Speed increase will be very small, if any. Can even decrease performance in rare occasions, but I won't get into it)
RAID10 will give you +speed, +storage and redundancy

Pretty much that's what the "popular" levels or RAID are. There's more out there, but none that you really need to know about.

NOTE*: RAID is not backup, and should not be considered backup. RAID does not protect against data corruption, accidental deletion, damage due to viruses, and the like. RAID [with redundancy] ONLY protects against drive failure. If you're just wanting to back up your data, buy a separate drive, back it up, and store the drive in a safe place off site.
October 15, 2010 5:29:08 PM

Best answer selected by shivver59.
m
l
!