Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ - Is it worth OCing?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 18, 2010 10:39:36 PM

Hi folks, i'm entirely GREEN to the whole Overclocking scene (to that specific aspect, i can more or less find my way around a PC's innards with a little time and maybe a pointer or two :p  ), i looked around and read that my processor is not worth OCing, but seeking a more concrete answer.

Here's my current setup:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Motherboard: Foxconn C51GU01 <-------I pulled this online, my PC is a Gateway GT5058 and i've never jotted down the exact specific regarding brand and model of my Motherboard.
PSU: 450 or 500 watt, unsure atm, i'ld have to crack open the case, it's no less then 400 though.
Memory: 2GBs RAM (unsure of the exact memory type i have right now, but someone with more experience then me can probably deduce it depending my my Motherboard).
Graphics Card: ATI 3870 (512MBs VRAM).

Now my main problem is that i was going to upgrade my processor, but then i found out that my motherboard is already using the best that the processor socket can accept on it, so upgrading went from around $150 - $200 to $400+ considering that with a new, half decent motherboard i'ld have to replace several other components as it's highly likely that most of the current components won't be compatible with the new motherboard, so upgrading is on the back burner for now. The reason i want to upgrade (or OC if it's worth doing) is that my processor is simply not quite cutting it anymore, alot of games around are being very "2.0GHz friendly".

Again, i have no clue where to even begin, i was reading two guides, one on this site and one elsewhere, but....ehhhh, they could all be written in chinese for all i can understand or comprehend from them.

So anyways, would appreciate any feedback on whether this is worth doing or not and if it is, any pointers on how to begin and stuff (i know i'll have to buy some new cooling for the processor lol).

Thanks,
Phantomizer.
a c 138 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 18, 2010 11:56:23 PM

Depending on the BIOS version some voltage control may be unlocked in the bios
m
l
November 19, 2010 2:48:31 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but it's what i got from System Information, it differs from what i found online, so again, not sure.

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 2/10/2006
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2010 3:21:04 PM

@henydiah: Just to make sure we're on the same page here, i'm just looking to unlock my BIOS right now, correct?
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 6:24:48 AM

yep
m
l
January 7, 2011 9:48:16 PM

Apologies for "drifting off" here, but had some problems lately that have forced me to place my attention elsewhere, but i'm getting freed up a bit and hoping to re-take this as i'm highly interested in trying to overclock my CPU.

I downloaded the files on the first link provided on a post above, i have to burn the files to a CD and then reboot my PC and setup the boot decide to CD ROM, i know how to do all that, however i'm a little unusure as to what option i'm looking to use for unlocking my BIOS, these are the options.

Quote:
C51GU01.ISO - Bootable ISO to flash bios with original or unlocked.
611E3P04.BIN - Oringial Bios with some features hidden.
UNLOCKED.BIN - Unlocked Bios with no features hidden.
MODBIN6.EXE - Program to edit bios.
CBROM.EXE - Program to manipulate rom modules (Not used in this project)
AWARDFLASH.EXE - Program to flash bios

I assume i'm looking to go with "UNLOCKED.BIN"? or did i miss something somewhere?

Sorry, i'm pretty green when it comes to overclocking and while i do realize that sometimes, even if you do everything correctly, you could still fry something on your PC, i'ld like to minimize that possibility as much as possible :) 

Thanks!

Edit: I was looking around and didn't find anything as far as updates for my motherboard go, the link provided above led to another board which is not the one i have.
m
l
January 18, 2011 5:59:20 PM

If its socket 939 then you can still upgrade the processor with 2nd hand units all the way upto the mighty FX62 (still a bit steep in price though), should be easy to find a cheap Athlon 64 X2 4400 or 4600 (939) on ebay or the like.
m
l
January 18, 2011 6:01:37 PM

FX60 even, typo but wont let me edit for some reason.
m
l
January 19, 2011 3:16:42 PM

chrisiomuk said:
If its socket 939 then you can still upgrade the processor with 2nd hand units all the way upto the mighty FX62 (still a bit steep in price though), should be easy to find a cheap Athlon 64 X2 4400 or 4600 (939) on ebay or the like.

Unless i'm mistaken, it is a socket 939, i'll do some more digging around to find out and see.

Cheers!
m
l
January 19, 2011 3:43:58 PM

I'm jumping in because I also have a system with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+. I looked around for some information on overclocking and didn't see much. I wondered if anyone here would remember that far back. ;) 

I've got an Abit AV8 mobo which does include some overclocking facilities. I was surprised when I looked at that screen in the BIOS and saw that the processor frequency was at 2GHz. Somewhere I got the idea it was supposed to be 2.4GHz. (Well... googling now I find 2.0GHz so maybe that is right.)

I did fiddle a bit with it and have it running well at 2.2GHz. I'm wondering if I could get more.

One issue is RAM. If all 4 slots are occupied, RAM speed is degraded to the next lower speed. (IIRC, it goes from DDR400 to DDR333.) It's nice to have 4GB (the motherboard max!) but there is a speed penalty. It would be nice to bump RAM speed a bit higher too.

best,
hank
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2011 2:15:49 AM

I had this cpu once my self, it was a 65w version and it was the worst overclocker in a long time. I suggest that you search for the best in socket cpu that you can afford that suits your needs better.
m
l
August 16, 2012 4:20:46 AM

I know this thread is ancient but did anyone get an success in ocing the Athlon over 2.2ghz? I don't have the cash to upgrade so I want to get all I can out of my computer.
m
l
!