Mixing metals diff parts question

commiedic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Well I was reading some guides and I quote...

"Mixing metals won't give you leaks or anything, galvanic corrosion ruining your parts is the problem"

"galvanic corrosion is a problem for mating materials."

random quotes from people over at overclock.net

Is this true as far as the fact that I will using full copper waterblocks for my GPU, so I should get a full copper block for CPU and a copper interior radiator?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most waterblocks are copper with some kind of acrylic or acetal tops...both of which are a form of plastic, so to speak.

Most watercooling radiators (the good ones) are copper tubes, so you are fine there. There were cases of older Koolance and Thermaltake kits that used aluminum radiators, but you don't find these around much anymore. Koolance found out the hard way with some of their older gear...corrosion around fittings, leaks, etc.

Stick to stuff that Skinnee tests (which is damn near anything of value in the WC world) http://skinneelabs.com/radiators.html

There is a ton of information on his site about anything watercooling, so read up. You will be mostly concerned with flow rates for radiators, blocks, temp delta, FPI and fan RPM vs. temps, as well as flow curves for pumps, pump tops and even fitting flow rates. He typically doesn't get to a lot of GPU blocks since new ones come out for new cards faster than he can test them.