WMP10 and receiving multicast stream

January 27, 2005 10:53:06 PM

I've been trying to get my multicast stream from a Windows 2003 Enterpise
Server w/ Windows Media Services to stream wirelessly to my Axim. The output
stream is simple and I created the NSC and copied it to 3 different Dell
Axims, 1 x30 high, and 2 x50v's (all running PPC2003SE) but loading the NSC
in WMP10 gives an error "Cannot play the file because the playlist is not
valid."

Unicast connections work fine wirelessly and I've packet sniffed the network
w/ a wired connection and the multicast packets are definately there. The
video that's streaming can play on WMP10 if I load the file on each Axim.

The problem is either in the Windows Media Services or WMP10 but the error
is so vague I don't have a clue where to work. I don't believe the PDA is
blocking multicasts and has UDP receive on. I put the port of that the UDP
multicasts were coming in on, but it didn't have any affect.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping someone else has tried a setup as complex
as this, thanks!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:54:21 PM

Are you sure the Axims network stack supports multicast discovery ?

I've never heard of anybody trying this with a PDA so would be
interesting if you discover anything about WM2003's network stack that
suggests it can do this.

What did you see in the server error logs - you should have at least
seen requests. Is there anything which suggests to you that the Axim's
media player 10 knows how to load and parse the .nsc file ?

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:53:06 -0800, Dillon
<Dillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've been trying to get my multicast stream from a Windows 2003 Enterpise
>Server w/ Windows Media Services to stream wirelessly to my Axim. The output
>stream is simple and I created the NSC and copied it to 3 different Dell
>Axims, 1 x30 high, and 2 x50v's (all running PPC2003SE) but loading the NSC
>in WMP10 gives an error "Cannot play the file because the playlist is not
>valid."
>
>Unicast connections work fine wirelessly and I've packet sniffed the network
>w/ a wired connection and the multicast packets are definately there. The
>video that's streaming can play on WMP10 if I load the file on each Axim.
>
>The problem is either in the Windows Media Services or WMP10 but the error
>is so vague I don't have a clue where to work. I don't believe the PDA is
>blocking multicasts and has UDP receive on. I put the port of that the UDP
>multicasts were coming in on, but it didn't have any affect.
>
>Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping someone else has tried a setup as complex
>as this, thanks!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:05:02 AM

I know it works in PPC2003SE as I've seen it work on 4000 series Ipaq. I'm
starting to think WMP10Mobile is the culprit, as I know it works on
WMP9Mobile but the Dell's are one of the few newest PDAs that have WMP10M.
My only option right now is to find an Ipaq and see if it works w/ the older
WMP

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> Are you sure the Axims network stack supports multicast discovery ?
>
> I've never heard of anybody trying this with a PDA so would be
> interesting if you discover anything about WM2003's network stack that
> suggests it can do this.
>
> What did you see in the server error logs - you should have at least
> seen requests. Is there anything which suggests to you that the Axim's
> media player 10 knows how to load and parse the .nsc file ?
>
> Cheers - Neil

January 29, 2005 3:15:29 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:05:02 -0800, Dillon
<Dillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I know it works in PPC2003SE as I've seen it work on 4000 series Ipaq.

Actually I checked the registry while I was answering another
question. The entry for .nsc files is in there, the handler is
ASFFile. The key is located under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT so it's probably
worth looking in the registry and checking the handler for this file
is associated there.

> I'm
>starting to think WMP10Mobile is the culprit, as I know it works on

If you do determine this (across a range of devices) it would be worth
raising as a big for sure. I haven't got a WM10 device to test with
here.

>WMP9Mobile but the Dell's are one of the few newest PDAs that have WMP10M.
>My only option right now is to find an Ipaq and see if it works w/ the older
>WMP
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> Are you sure the Axims network stack supports multicast discovery ?
>>
>> I've never heard of anybody trying this with a PDA so would be
>> interesting if you discover anything about WM2003's network stack that
>> suggests it can do this.
>>
>> What did you see in the server error logs - you should have at least
>> seen requests. Is there anything which suggests to you that the Axim's
>> media player 10 knows how to load and parse the .nsc file ?
>>
>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:05:08 AM

An update:

I tested out the same multicast setup with an older Ipaq 3850 w/ PPC2002 and
WMP8. The Ipaq was connected to the network through a PCMCIA wifi card and
opening the same NSC file was able to play the multicast. Opening the NSC
file again on the Axim w/ WMP10M caused the error.

I fully believe the new playlist features of WMP10M broke multicasting.
Does anyone know I could contact Microsoft to discuss this bug, and not just
the generic help which will be useless? Thanks
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:51:32 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:05:08 -0800, Dillon
<Dillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>An update:
>
>I tested out the same multicast setup with an older Ipaq 3850 w/ PPC2002 and
>WMP8. The Ipaq was connected to the network through a PCMCIA wifi card and
>opening the same NSC file was able to play the multicast. Opening the NSC
>file again on the Axim w/ WMP10M caused the error.
>
>I fully believe the new playlist features of WMP10M broke multicasting.
>Does anyone know I could contact Microsoft to discuss this bug, and not just
>the generic help which will be useless? Thanks

Sounds like a bug to me. Always be wary of MS fobbing you off with the
"this behaviour is by design" nonense some bugs get though.

The .nsc is a text file, right ? What happens if you save it to the
device, can you open it there and does it connect to the stream ?

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:51:33 PM

the NSC file is plain text with some hex information. So far I have been
saving the file to the device (vs. retrieving it from a webpage) and it
doesn't work. A sample would be like

[Address]
Name=02Dm000000000iJW1F05S0HW1905C0Jm1404K0LW0W02m0801K0640Om1q06a0Om1X06m0000
NSC Format Version=029G0000000008Cm0k0300000
IP Address=020W000000000UCW0p03a0BW0n03a0CW0k03K0Cm0k0380D00m0000
IP Port=0x00004790
Time To Live=0x00000020

> Sounds like a bug to me. Always be wary of MS fobbing you off with the
> "this behaviour is by design" nonense some bugs get though.
>
> The .nsc is a text file, right ? What happens if you save it to the
> device, can you open it there and does it connect to the stream ?
>
> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:30:57 PM

OK you were doing it the other way round than I anticipated then. I
thought you were saying when you clicked the link to the .nsc, then it
didn't play (so I wanted to see if it 'worked' by browsing to the
file)

It's possible PIE works with the MIME type and passes it to WMP9/10
correctly, whereas browsing to the file doesn't. So the other way
round, does a server-created file (which presumably passes the correct
MIME type, whatever that is - application/asx ?) work > ?

I'm thinking the .nsc is generated by referencing your media server's
mms protocol and publishing point, correct me if I'm wrong as I've not
used mine for multicast. Hope to get onto this come this w/end or
next.

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:49:04 -0800, Dillon
<Dillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>the NSC file is plain text with some hex information. So far I have been
>saving the file to the device (vs. retrieving it from a webpage) and it
>doesn't work. A sample would be like
>
>[Address]
>Name=02Dm000000000iJW1F05S0HW1905C0Jm1404K0LW0W02m0801K0640Om1q06a0Om1X06m0000
>NSC Format Version=029G0000000008Cm0k0300000
>IP Address=020W000000000UCW0p03a0BW0n03a0CW0k03K0Cm0k0380D00m0000
>IP Port=0x00004790
>Time To Live=0x00000020
>

>> Sounds like a bug to me. Always be wary of MS fobbing you off with the
>> "this behaviour is by design" nonense some bugs get though.
>>
>> The .nsc is a text file, right ? What happens if you save it to the
>> device, can you open it there and does it connect to the stream ?
>>
>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:30:58 PM

I don't have a great depth of knowledge on mms (unicast?) , but my
understanding of multicast and NSC is that the NSC simply tells the media
player what multicast address to listen to, and what codec/bitrate to play
the video at. The NSC doesn't connect back to the server at all, it just
gives the instructions of how to use the multicast traffic.

Running the NSC file locally is the only option right now because this bug
actually comes from using some commercial software that was built around
WMP9M. The software loads the NSC locally then executes it, and I've been
talking with the developers and it works fine w/ WMP9M. They haven't tried
it on WMP10M, so if the new media player handles NSC files differently, it
hasn't been accounted for by this software (which is only a month old now).

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> OK you were doing it the other way round than I anticipated then. I
> thought you were saying when you clicked the link to the .nsc, then it
> didn't play (so I wanted to see if it 'worked' by browsing to the
> file)
>
> It's possible PIE works with the MIME type and passes it to WMP9/10
> correctly, whereas browsing to the file doesn't. So the other way
> round, does a server-created file (which presumably passes the correct
> MIME type, whatever that is - application/asx ?) work > ?
>
> I'm thinking the .nsc is generated by referencing your media server's
> mms protocol and publishing point, correct me if I'm wrong as I've not
> used mine for multicast. Hope to get onto this come this w/end or
> next.
>
> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 4:25:18 PM

I have exactly the same problem, and I'm sure that the problem is in WMP10. The nsc files seems to be totaly ignored by the WMP10

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to uninstall WMP10 and install WMP9 instead?? It should works, right?

Thanks!
LP

February 4, 2005 4:25:19 PM

I'm pretty sure you cannot get WMP9M as a stand-alone because its built into
the firmware. I flashed my Axim X30H firmware to get WMP10M, but now I can't
flash back to an older firmware. For my Axim X50v's I'm sure they can't be
flashed to a firmware that has WMP10M.

"Lars-Peder Lundgren via PocketPCJunkies." wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem, and I'm sure that the problem is in WMP10. The nsc files seems to be totaly ignored by the WMP10
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows how to uninstall WMP10 and install WMP9 instead?? It should works, right?
>
> Thanks!
> LP

February 4, 2005 6:18:06 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:23:07 -0800, Dillon
<Dillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm pretty sure you cannot get WMP9M as a stand-alone because its built into
>the firmware. I flashed my Axim X30H firmware to get WMP10M, but now I can't
>flash back to an older firmware.

Don't you usually get a ROM backup file saved when you do a ROM
update?

> For my Axim X50v's I'm sure they can't be
>flashed to a firmware that has WMP10M.

Did you mean WMP9 ? I thought X50s came with 2003SE + WMP10 as
supplied...

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:18:07 PM

> Don't you usually get a ROM backup file saved when you do a ROM
> update?

Its been months now and I can't find my original ROM. I have one from Dell
but the loader wont let me downgrade. I'm also a bit fearful of a bad flash
killing my PDA, so I'd rather solve the software bug

> > For my Axim X50v's I'm sure they can't be
> >flashed to a firmware that has WMP10M.
>
> Did you mean WMP9 ? I thought X50s came with 2003SE + WMP10 as
> supplied...

Ah yes, I'm confusing myself.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:18:38 PM

** Bumped **
Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:25:18 GMT, "Lars-Peder Lundgren via
PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>I have exactly the same problem, and I'm sure that the problem is in WMP10. The nsc files seems to be totaly ignored by the WMP10
>
>I'm wondering if anyone knows how to uninstall WMP10 and install WMP9 instead?? It should works, right?
>
>Thanks!
>LP
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:07:03 PM

An update:

I got a hold of an Ipaq 4350 w/ PPC2003 and WMP9M. I tested it with the
exact same setup, and same NSC file is it worked flawlessly. This proves
beyond a shadow of a doubt that multicast is broken in WMP10M
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:31:46 AM

Thx Dillon. No feedback yet, I might rais it again to see if there's
an known issues. It all went a bit quiet when I asked.

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:07:03 -0800, Dillon

!