How come people don't like feaser1?

Saw that thread awhile ago, some people claim that it hasn't happened to them, why the hell would anybody even risk it after seeing that ?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No idea. You are far better off using colored/UV tubing, or at minimum, finding GOOD dye that won't particulate out. I'm guessing that Feser stuff is some kind of glycol mix, which is why he saw that accumulation under 24/7 Folding and heat. He basically caramelized the coolant.

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
how long before the buildup? I mean I like that this stuff cools like water compared to Fluid XP. I have no problem taking the block apart to clean it. Also next fluid change I may buy filters. But then again when I start to notice changes in my temps on my CPU block to start riesing I'll just use distilled water with the UV Dye from Feaser. I hope it'll be ok for at least 6 months. for me though I have an arcrilic block.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Filters? For...?

It's your choice, I suppose. Most cases of the 'Feser gunk' have been of people running their machines 24/7 and often doing moderate to high load work like Folding, etc, which generated sustained temps. I've used Feser1, I didn't have it gunk up, but I didn't run it all that long...maybe a couple months; my box is off most days anyway, so it was limited use.

Distilled water is dirt cheap ($1-ish/gallon) and PTnuke ($4, only need a few drops) and killcoils ($6, lasts forever or until the apocolypse; whichever comes first) vs. $20 a bottle of coolant, which still needs distilled to mix in most cases.

Your choice. Personally, if you want color, look into some good dyes or colored tubing.

Link to Skinnee's tests on coolants and water, all perform within 1 degree C, which is negligible:

http://skinneelabs.com/coolants.html?page=3

SL-Coolant_chart-cpuavg.png

SL-Coolant_chart-gpuavg.png

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I would stay away from UV dye, It can stain plastics and tubing. I would also stay away from biocide (you don't need it).
Get UV reactive tubing. UV reactivity degrades over time but tubing lasts much much longer than fluids.

Any type of additive would make water dry slower. Instead of drying under a couple minutes, it can take several hours or perhaps several days. This can be problematic if you spilled some on your motherboard.

Also additives leave residue when dried. Another thing to cleanup and it doesn't impact performance.

Distilled water is free of algae and bacteria, thats why it is always clean on store shelves. Algae isn't airborne, only you can introduce it into your loop. Most common way is to rinsing with tap water.

Don't buy Feser deionized water, its more expensive than it should be. Like $4 can get you a gallon of deionized water. Any store with an automotive section should have deionized water, it is used for mixing with anti-freeze for car radiators.

Latest posts