Your question
Solved

Adding RAM Question

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
September 6, 2009 7:36:31 PM

Hey all ....... Just built my machine and i am thinking of adding 2 more gb of ram memory.....

my mobo is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the ram i have in there now is ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my ? is.... do i need to add the same RAM with the same timings 9-9-9-24 or can i add any sort of ddr3? Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks.

More about : adding ram question

a c 115 } Memory
September 6, 2009 7:51:11 PM

You should buy the same type of RAM. Buying RAM with different characteristics will only make it more difficult to make the system stable.
m
l
September 6, 2009 8:24:52 PM

If you memory timings (Cas etc.) are set to AUTO, the slowest RAM's timings will be chosen, it shouldn't be a problem though, as I'm also running a mix of 2x1GB and 2x2GB RAM.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 115 } Memory
September 6, 2009 8:29:55 PM

But you might not be running overclocked memory and that makes it easier.
m
l
September 7, 2009 5:34:52 AM

Whichever type of ram you buy, to ensure stability the clocks and timings of the slowest should be used. So getting the same type would be best, or sticks with the same ratings and voltages. The voltages part is also important, because this will ensure stability.

There shouldn't be a problem with mixing 2GB and 1GB sticks if you want to go that way, but you could also just get one additional 2GB stick.
m
l
September 7, 2009 5:44:08 AM

Yes, Ideally i would get the one 2gb stick, but i have not been able to find it in just a 2gb pack. I will keep looking in case i just missed it. Thanks for all the help guys.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 7, 2009 6:37:01 AM

if you already have 4gigs of ram you need a 64 bit os to upgrade
m
l
September 7, 2009 8:35:01 AM

Yes ty i know i run vista prem 64 bit
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 7, 2009 12:34:08 PM

You always want to buy the exact same memory, if you have a choice. Always.
Mixing memory is a crap shoot, sometimes it work perfectly, sometimes it will not.
The one thing you do want to be absolutely positive about is matching voltage. If you do buy something that is not an exact match, the chances are a lot better it will work with your older memory.
September 7, 2009 11:25:47 PM

jitpublisher said:
You always want to buy the exact same memory, if you have a choice. Always.
Mixing memory is a crap shoot, sometimes it work perfectly, sometimes it will not.
The one thing you do want to be absolutely positive about is matching voltage. If you do buy something that is not an exact match, the chances are a lot better it will work with your older memory.

Good Info There thank y0u
m
l