Sign in with
Your question

Separating CPU from heat sink. Please help!

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2009 4:55:06 PM

Hi All

I was building my new system with a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad core processor.
The motherboard LEDs indicated that there was something wrong with the processor.
Not really thinking about it, I tried to remove the heat sink.
The processor was glued to the heatsink with arctic silver 5 and the CPU was ripped right out of the socket!
Luckily none of the pins on the cpu are bent. However, it is still stuck to the heat sink.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a trick to getting the arctic silver off?
I've read everything ranging from freezing to rubbing alcohol to WD40.
What's worked for you guys?

Thanks

June 25, 2009 4:57:31 PM

This is a common problem and just about everyone has done it.

The best thing you can do is get a flat-head screw driver and simply pry it off, it should just pop off.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 5:05:48 PM

Common problem, try taking two small flat blocks of wood against opposite sides of cpu, aply pressure and twist sideways, this will help you from accidently bending pins, steady pressure and using the minimun amount of force.

AS 5 sets over time but it is not a glue only a thermal compound. use a good TIM cleaner to clean of all of the AS 5 on the CPU and Hetsink before re-applying fresh AS 5
Related resources
June 26, 2009 6:57:57 PM

This has happened to me more then once. Be very careful its very easy to bend pins when this happens. When trying to get it loose be careful if you pry it. I would recommend grasping the CPU and seeing if you can twist it to help break the bond. This way you dont risk bending the cpu or damaging it with whatever you are prying it with. Just be careful not to touch the pins.
June 26, 2009 7:47:56 PM

careful and gentle application a f a flat head screw driver
June 26, 2009 8:02:35 PM

Intel has a (very secret) superior surface on their CPU's that does not let any thermal compound know to man stick to it. This provides trouble free removal of any and all HSF.
I heard AMD was trying to steal the Intel process. After reading your post it is obvious that has not happend.

Sorry Julio. Just kidding..a little twist usually works best. Good luck
a c 87 à CPUs
June 26, 2009 8:14:11 PM

Be VERY careful with a screw driver, I've broke CPUs before using to much pressure. I suggest heating the sink back up so the TIM weakens some. Point a hair dryer at it for awhile, but don't let it get to hot. I also suggest trying whatever you can to twist it off. Don't just stick the flat head screw driver under neath it and twist.
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 8:38:07 PM

julioshingon said:
Hi All

I was building my new system with a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Quad core processor.
The motherboard LEDs indicated that there was something wrong with the processor.
Not really thinking about it, I tried to remove the heat sink.
The processor was glued to the heatsink with arctic silver 5 and the CPU was ripped right out of the socket!
Luckily none of the pins on the cpu are bent. However, it is still stuck to the heat sink.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a trick to getting the arctic silver off?
I've read everything ranging from freezing to rubbing alcohol to WD40.
What's worked for you guys?

Thanks

You can heat it up in the oven at around 150F, that should soften the compound. Turn the oven to "warm" until it really is warm, then turn it off and stick the CPU/Sink in there for around 3-5 minutes or until crispy (j/k on the last part).

Then use a screwdriver.

The warming is only really useful of gentle prying doesn't work cold.
June 26, 2009 9:01:55 PM

You can use a razor or putty knife to carefully pry it off. You can also use an iron to heat the heatsink and soften the paste. I've done it and it works well.
!