brendan stallard

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I built an Athlon/Asus desktop for a friend, I set it up for her and it was neat and sharp, everything working very well.

She had it less than a week and reported that on putting a USB stick in it, the entire machine powered off and cannot be powered back on.

On switch on, it won't post.

I know I set it up correctly, with the USB's and on checking those connections they are properly connected.

I've got a feeling something has broken in the PSU, but it seems to be running and all the fans are working.

Any ideas? (Other than never do it again, don't worry, I won't):)

brendan

brendan stallard

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
"have you tried resetting the CMOS?"

Nik,

Hate to admit, I don't know how to do that, would you mind advising?

"that is a strange problem tho. maybe something short-circuited."

Yep, that's my guess.

Thanks.

brendan

brendan stallard

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
motherboard Asus M2NE
processor Athlon 6000
powersupply Allied 500, came with the case.
memory 2 Gigs of Patriot PC800
number and types of drives C drive is a 250 Gig WD Sata/Back up D drive is a 750 Samsung SATA.
vid card[/quotemsg] GE Force XFX 7300LE

brendan

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
there is a jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios. the location and directions will be in your motherboard manual. but although clearing cmos is usually a good first step i don't think it will help with this problem. your mb may be shorting to the case you power supply may have bought the farm or just isn't strong enough in the first place which is why i asked nicely for more info.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
thanks my first deal would be to try a better or just another working power supply. but just to make sure you did install all of the mb standoffs because a mother board short can kill a power supply. also disconnect everything but the processor +heatsink&fan and the vid card, no ram and see if you get any error beeps.

brendan stallard

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
"just to make sure you did install all of the mb standoffs"

Yep, all 9 of 'em.

I found out how to reset the CMOS.

Thanks I'll give it all a wiz!

brendan

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

USB headers and firewire headers are easy to confuse. Don't confuse them, bad things will happen. Some USB leads from case MFG's do not have headers, easy to get the individual leads wrong. Even with headers, wiring could be wrong - worth checking.

That PSU is a bit sus... Perhaps use a better PSU. Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PCP&C, etc. are all well built PSU's.

brendan stallard

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
"]USB headers and firewire headers are easy to confuse. Don't confuse them, bad things will happen."

Croc,

Yep, definitely USB went into USB headers, no question.

"That PSU is a bit sus... Perhaps use a better PSU. Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PCP&C, etc. are all well built PSU's."

Yep, I'll pop that out and put another in that is working tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, I'll report back on the fix....when it arrives.

brendan

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
It might just be the board I went on newegg to look it up and the reviews on it aren't stellar in fact out of over 600 reviews it only got 53% 5 star reviews which isn't good. Reason I did this was I had a M3A board from asus and thing was garbage usb didn't work half the time half the time the nic didn't work and it had problems booting all this after only 3 days of using it so after a week it went back. I have a feeling your having the same issue poor quality board. Just a thought in case none of the above works might want to switch out the board with something more reliable I recommend gigabyte