New built not booting up

verdugo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I just finished putting a system together and now is not booting up. Nothing powers on when I press the power switch.

I have a power supply tester and plugged the 24 pin plug into it including the 12 volt cpu plug and all the fans and the optical drive worked. Unfortunately the cpu fan, memory (LEDs) and the main power switch do not. Also, the powers supply fan works only when everything is plugged onto the tester. Do I have a bad mb ? These are the same symptoms I had with my previous mb. What do you think could be the problem here ?

verdugo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
That's a very good checklist. I've done it all pretty much. I'm thinking about pulling the mb out and reinstalling the cpu, memory and all cables back together to see what happens before I RMA it.

verdugo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Well,under the advise of someone else at another forum, I unplugged all fans including the optical drive and media reader card. The only thing left plugged in was the cpu and cpu fan and one stick of memory. The system still not powering on. After that I plugged the 24 pin plug and the 4 pin 12 volt plug into a psu tester and it burned the tester. It said the +12v2 was too high. Strange since I did the same earlier but nothing happened.