PLEASE HELP with i7!!!

krau51

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
ok. this is the issue. my pc died.
I want to build one and I have researched a lot and now I'm just confussed. What i do is video editing. I play games every once in a while but that is not the main purpose.
I edit short and feature films. I want to be able to have a pc that I dont have to upgrade for a while (i would upgrade the graphics card) and that is not freezing all the time because it cannot handle massive aamounts of video. I use the whole adobe suite (a lot of after effects), avid and combustion.
I had decided I was going to go for an i7 (920), which means getting new mobo, ddr3, power supply and maybe cooling system. But then I read this:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/03/intel-answers-the-future-of-core-i7-920/1

and now I'm just confused.
Should I go for AMD or Intel?
c2q? c2d? i7?
ddr2 or 3?

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ASAP. I know people have asked questions like this 1000 times but I really need some good experience.

krau51

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

thanks! and sorry

^ +1. I doubted the rumors about Intel EOLing the i920, although I have read that the i950 will be discontinued in favor of an i960. BTW, Intel is going to be introducing the 6-core Westmere 32nm version of Nehalem sometime next year, probably under the "i9" family name for the ultra-performance desktop & workstation segment. So assuming Intel bins the Westmeres, there could be a 6-core version equivalent to the 920 that would be a drop-in + BIOS flash upgrade.

I wonder if Adobe is planning a W7-optimized version for Photoshop, Premiere, etc? I don't see any info on their frontpage.