[Solved] Crossfire on XFX x58i

Hello,

A noob question.
Is it OK to add one more GPU and enable crossfire on XFX x58i mobo?


System specs:

Core i7 920 @ stock speed
Scythe Mugen-2 CPU cooler
XFX X58i Mobo
Sapphire Vapor-X OC 1GB 4890
Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz 3GB RAM
Corsair 850TX PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 Cabinet
Samsung P2350 23" Monitor

Cheers
7 answers Last reply
More about solved crossfire x58i
  1. even though XFX is a Nvidia partner and therefore backs their SLI, the board is an intel based X58 and works with crossfire, they just don't advertise it.

    So yes, you can.

    If you do make sure you put it in the proper slot, as I think from what I've seen the middle PCI-e slot is only x4 electrical (or something thats not the full 16)

    Try your GPU and use GPU-Z to verify that both are running at proper x16 bandwidth.
  2. Thanks tehHooligan for fast reply :D

    I believe these days XFX does ATI products too.

    You're right, there are 3 slots, 1st & 3rd are green color and middle one is black. Seems that the ATI's crossfire bridge won't stretch till the 3rd slot, but Nvidia's sli bridge can :??: How can I verify before buying/ installing?
  3. wrc05 said:
    Thanks tehHooligan for fast reply :D

    I believe these days XFX does ATI products too.

    You're right, there are 3 slots, 1st & 3rd are green color and middle one is black. Seems that the ATI's crossfire bridge won't stretch till the 3rd slot, but Nvidia's sli bridge can :??: How can I verify before buying/ installing?


    Here is a link to one of many reviews that should help. If i am reading right on XFX site the two green will run at 16x as long as there is not a card in the black slot as then it would be 16-8-8. Remember to pick up a couple longer crossfire bridge as the SLi one will not work. Good luck. ;)
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=17130
  4. Hi AGirlsBuild
    Quote:
    Remember to pick up a couple longer crossfire bridge

    I guess there is only 1 size for the crossfire bridge, but different sizes for sli (regular length) & trisli ( bit short and still good enough to connect all the slots).

    I dug through all accessories given in X58i mobo and it's sli bridges only, the author misquoted in his review. What to do? Am I gonna be stuck with one GPU even though my mobo supports crossfire?? Why on earth ATI makes a bridge expandable till 2nd slot only??? :fou:
  5. wrc05 said:
    Hi AGirlsBuild
    Quote:
    Remember to pick up a couple longer crossfire bridge

    I guess there is only 1 size for the crossfire bridge, but different sizes for sli (regular length) & trisli ( bit short and still good enough to connect all the slots).

    I dug through all accessories given in X58i mobo and it's sli bridges only, the author misquoted in his review. What to do? Am I gonna be stuck with one GPU even though my mobo supports crossfire?? Why on earth ATI makes a bridge expandable till 2nd slot only??? :fou:


    I use extended length Crossfire bridge's on two MSI M/B and on one EVGA Classified M/B. All three run 2x 4890 GPU's with double slots between them. DFI and MSI sell them. Will try to get a link later today. :D
    Here is a photo of one of my systems using the bridges in question.
  6. WOW! :bounce: You're the man :wahoo:

    You've made my day, this is the 1st time I saw a crossfire bridge extended all the way to the last slot and didn't know those even existed. Was thinking of binning my GPU & go for gtx 275s n' sli, opted for Vapor-X 4890 due to native HDMI.

    Kudos for your reply. BTW that's a nice rig you've got, great red n' black color combination.

    Once again, many thanks AGirlsBuild. Don't forget the link...

    Cheers.
  7. wrc05 said:
    WOW! :bounce: You're the man :wahoo:

    You've made my day, this is the 1st time I saw a crossfire bridge extended all the way to the last slot and didn't know those even existed. Was thinking of binning my GPU & go for gtx 275s n' sli, opted for Vapor-X 4890 due to native HDMI.

    Kudos for your reply. BTW that's a nice rig you've got, great red n' black color combination.

    Once again, many thanks AGirlsBuild. Don't forget the link...

    Cheers.


    Thanks, :non: I am the Girl. LOL Thanks it turned out nice i think.
    Here is the part info:

    P/N AAA-ATI-002-K06

    Measures 88mm (3 7/16 inches) center-line distance.
    100mm (3 15/16 inches) end-to-end - not including tabs.

    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=crossfire+bridge&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1311&_odkw=Lotes+AAA-ATI-002-K06&_osacat=0#item4148c316e0

    Let me know how things go. ;)

    If you have an problems PM me. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Foxconn Crossfire Corsair Motherboards