Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unable to reinstall Norton 360 on Media Center.

Last response: in Windows XP
August 23, 2011 11:18:14 PM

On my Gateway PC I resolved the OS problem by installing Windows XP Media Center Edition (English) over the Windows XP Professional (Spanish) that was on my C: drive while I had Windows 7 on my D: drive. On boot, I had a choice of systems to work with. The XP MCE removed the Windows 7 and left some garbage on my D: drive, but that is not a problem.
My problem is my Norton 360 5.0. I can't reinstall it or any previous version for which I had the downloads stored. It goes so far and a Norton window appears that tells me it can't finish the installation because there seems to be a problem with the Windows XP installation and refers me to a technical help page. I am instructed to open the Service Manager and go to Terminal Service to see if it is stopped and to start it. But there is no Terminal Service listed. I checked on my HP Notebook's Service Manager and it's not there either.
I also have a Windows XP Home Edition disk, but the computer won't allow me to install it. (I should have bought XP Professional.)
I contacted Norton and "chatted" with Shuji who determined it was not a Norton program. Thanks a lot.
I did whatever my 75-year old brain could come up with, but I just can't complete the installation. Any ideas?
:bounce: 

Best solution

August 24, 2011 9:05:38 AM

I can't understand why Norton would require you to have the Terminal Service enabled- that's the Remote Desktop service. As far as antivirus programs go, you're far better off not using Norton. It makes your computer embarrassingly slow and has a terrible reputation for not doing its job. I'd recommend downloading AVG Free edition. It's the most reputable AV product on the market, with daily updates and a very user friendly UI.
August 24, 2011 2:22:37 PM

PudgyChicken said:
I can't understand why Norton would require you to have the Terminal Service enabled- that's the Remote Desktop service. As far as antivirus programs go, you're far better off not using Norton. It makes your computer embarrassingly slow and has a terrible reputation for not doing its job. I'd recommend downloading AVG Free edition. It's the most reputable AV product on the market, with daily updates and a very user friendly UI.

I'll have to look into AVG Free Edition. Thank you, PudgyChicken. :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2011 2:01:28 AM

I installed the AVG Free Edition but I'm still trying to find out what's wrong with my Windows installation that keeps me from being able to reinstall the Norton that I've paid for.
m
l
September 1, 2011 9:31:05 PM

I reinstalled Windows XP MCE twice. Yesterday, the same disc loaded XP Professional edition and I had three OS's to choose from. I'm down to just two XP MCE's. But the important thing is I have my Norton. I paid for it so I'll finish my subscription. I also have the Terminal Service on the Service Manager. So I'm fine for now.
m
l
September 3, 2011 1:53:24 PM

Best answer selected by kountryking.
m
l
!