Comparing Core 2 quads?

intel234

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I am planning on building a new rig that would have Core 2 Quad. My exisiting one has an Intel Core 2 Duo clocked at 2.4 GHz. It is time for a new one.

Basically, I use the system for video editing and visual effects, a little gaming, a tiny bit opf 3d, and just basic stuff (itunes, media center, office- which I am not really concerned with).

My question is this: Core 2 Qiuad q6600 or q8200? I know the 6600 runs at 2.4 GHz, but it is older and uses more power but has a higher cache. The q8200 runs at 2.33 GHz. Anyone have experience with either one? Any thoughts?

The rest of my system would have:
-550W Power supply
-Gigabyte motherboard
-8+ GB RAM
-Vista 64-bit
-1.5 TB HDD
-Evga 512 MB Graphics Card

Thanks for the help!

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
So I'm not sure I follow you...it sounds like you are only replacing your CPU with a newer quad CPU...or are you building a whole new system? If you are just replacing a dual core CPU with a quad core, then you have to go with Intel...otherwise you would have to switch out the motehrboard to get an AMD CPU. I would also look at how much a quad is utilized in video editing...most applications do not use more than 2 core at the moment. This will change in the next few years, but at that time the replacement for the i7, i5 and i3 will be available. So basically if you switch out your CPU for a Q6600 (unless you are overclocking) you won't see much of a change in speed.

intel234

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Okay, sorry if I wasn't clear. I am building a new rig. It will be a replacement for my old desktop (wow, can't believe Im saying that, its only 1 yr old). So I am open to any processor really (AMD or Intel) But I have some experience with AMDs not running so great, but no experience with Phenom II X4

Running Adobe CS3, Effects Lab Pro, Composite Lab Pro, Maya 3d, Photoshop CS3, etc.

Motherboard for Intel= http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128380