Recomondations for an AM3 system for under $1200?

Hello, I was wondering if anybody had and recomondations for an AM3 system I would like to build in May for under $1200.I plan on using it mainly for gaming. I would like it 2 have at least 3 pci express 2.0 and 2 pci slots as i plan on upgrading later. I plan on overclocking it as well. I'd prefer the parts come from Newegg. I have a 19" lcd. Thanks in advance.
12 answers Last reply
More about recomondations system 1200
  1. There are only 2 AMD mobos on newegg which meet your criteria for slots and both are AM2+.

    One is Crossfire.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153129

    One is SLI.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131343

    It would be best to ask again when you're ready to buy as things are likely to change in the meantime.
  2. Well if you've studied up and read that am3 + ddr3 isn't really the latest and greatest (only about a average 5% performance increase over ddr2 not too noticable) but if that is what you are bent on this is what i would suggest.

    Asus M4A79T Deluxe + 4 Gigabyte Patriot Viper DDR3 1600 $267.98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.176394

    Amd Phenom II X3 720 + HIS Hightec 1 GB $366.99 (20.00 MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.164891

    HIS Hightec 1GB 4870 $259.99 (20.00) MIR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161265

    Antec 300 $54.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&Tpk=antec%20300

    OCZ ModXStream 700 Watt $94.99 (69.99) After MIR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

    Western Digital Caviar 640 GB $79.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

    LG DVD Sata Rom Combo Drive $24.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136152

    $1149.88 Total Not including MIR And my opinion that can tackle most games of today high settings with pretty good aa settings on yor 19 inch
  3. Reply to the animal

    All right thanks il ask again in late april or early may. Btw when i said "I would like it 2 have at least 3 pci express 2.0 and 2 pci slots as i plan on upgrading later" i meant it didn't have to have exactly 3, i said at least. :)

    Would this be good?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223

    Edit: Was typing when jared replied so i didnt see what you said till after i posted, thanks for the advice

    Btw do you know when will the new south bridge come out?
  4. hmm that does look like a pretty damn good board, but youd actually be paying more for buying that board, it doesnt look like it will be supporting any combo deals on the egg for awhile, and its brand new so it wait till some other guinea pigs buy it and review it :) and you might want to know that may / april is a really good time to buy,with the new phenom'(s) coming out and the new radeons prices on existing phenoms should drop some, but in my own unbiased opinion ;) i think that build would be the absolute bast bang for buck and could easily bout with crysis.

    Edit: Heres a quote from some tech article. ("From what we can see from the SB800 details, AMD has a real chance of beating Intel's chipset offer. But until Q2 of 2009, when the SB800 is expected to be released, these are just pure speculations.")
    Edit 2: LOL Heres the article. http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8228&Itemid=1
  5. JaredAudiophileGamer said:
    hmm that does look like a pretty damn good board, but youd actually be paying more for buying that board, it doesnt look like it will be supporting any combo deals on the egg for awhile, and its brand new so it wait till some other guinea pigs buy it and review it :) and you might want to know that may / april is a really good time to buy,with the new phenom'(s) coming out and the new radeons prices on existing phenoms should drop some, but in my own unbiased opinion ;) i think that build would be the absolute bast bang for buck and could easily bout with crysis.

    Edit: Heres a quote from some tech article. ("From what we can see from the SB800 details, AMD has a real chance of beating Intel's chipset offer. But until Q2 of 2009, when the SB800 is expected to be released, these are just pure speculations.")
    Edit 2: LOL Heres the article. http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8228&Itemid=1



    Thanks, and ive still got quite a while till i actualy order it, who knows what might come out(plus price reductions). :ange:
  6. i hope they drop atleast 20 ;D im in the market to replace my motherboard and cpu, and im lookin at the asus m4a79 + phenom II x3 720 that combo is around 290 now.
  7. JaredAudiophileGamer said:


    Amd Phenom II X3 720 + HIS Hightec 1 GB $366.99 (20.00 MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.164891

    HIS Hightec 1GB 4870 $259.99 (20.00) MIR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161265


    $1149.88 Total Not including MIR And my opinion that can tackle most games of today high settings with pretty good aa settings on yor 19 inch



    TWO 4870's to drive a 19 inch monitor is overkill . Way overkill .
    One 4870 is more than enough since I get 35 FPS in Crysis with e7300 @ 3.33 GHz/ 4850/2 gig of RAM on a 19 wide screen .

    If the OP is definitely going to spend $1200 he should get a single 4870 AND a 22inch LCD
  8. Well just a thought... for $1200 you can get an core i7 system...

    CPU + Heatsink - Combo Price: $335.98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.163999

    Mobo - $249
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

    HDD- $80
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

    RAM - $89
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145220

    CASE + PSU -Combo Price: $179.98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.176939

    GFX card - $200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

    Total - $1135

    Unless there are very special reasons you want to go with AM3, I would suggest you go wit this build...

    But seeing the probable purchase date in in May, then the P II 955 is coming in May...build ur PC after it releases...It will bring down the price of other CPUs as welll...

    And nice info about SB800 from JaredAudio...like to see such gud competition between the green and the blue team...
  9. gkay's build is very nice.

    Wait until closer to the build date and look at options then.

    I see no point in buying AM3 if you can work with i7.
    Equally there is no need for anything more than 1x 4850 for 19" and a 4870 will eat most games at 22".

    Suggests resurrecting the thread nearer to the build time.

    Jeremy
  10. gkay09 said:
    Well just a thought... for $1200 you can get an core i7 system...

    [System Specs]

    Combo the CPU with the Sapphire 4870 1GB , instead. They're both $15 off. Then get a Xigmatek Dark Knight. That's a really good mobo, but if you need to pinch a few more pennies, the MSI x58 Pro and Gigabyte x58 UD3R are both more than acceptable and are at least $50 cheaper.

    gkay09 said:
    Unless there are very special reasons you want to go with AM3, I would suggest you go wit this build...

    But seeing the probable purchase date in in May, then the P II 955 is coming in May...build ur PC after it releases...It will bring down the price of other CPUs as welll...

    And nice info about SB800 from JaredAudio...like to see such gud competition between the green and the blue team...


    Couldn't agree more.
  11. How u came to $1.2k?
  12. AMD AM3 build for gaming:

    Case + PSU combo: $239.98 - $90.00 MIR = $149.98
    ENERMAX Uber Chakra ECA5001B Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail +
    ENERMAX MODU82+ EMD625AWT 625W ATX12V Ver.2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
    Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

    Mobo + memory combo: $263.98 - $20.00 MIR = $243.98
    ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail +
    Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS34G1600ELK - Retail

    CPU + GPU combo: $366.99 - $20.00 MIR = $346.99
    HIS Hightech H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ 4+ Turbo Video Card - Retail +
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

    OS + HDD combo: $199.98
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM +
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

    2nd HDD: $69.99
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

    DVD + MCR/FDD combo: $41.98
    Rosewill RCR-FD201 12-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive - Retail +
    LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM

    Total: $1,052.90 + any s/h

    Not the best PSU or total setup, but just goes to show with even lots of frills that you can get under $1200.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product