davidjj

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Help!!

I have a Dell desktop which is running XP SP3. I tried to install Office 2010. However, kept getting the 1603 error. Microsoft helped me but it ended up stuffing up my boot up using XP. To get my computer booting again I reinstalled a new version of XP SP3 using the option not to delete or overwrite any files. So apparently I now have 2 versions of XP SP3 on the same HDD (C). After the stuff up with Microsoft I decided not to install Office 2010. However, on boot up I get asked which one of the two XP versions I want to use.

I have gone in and edited out one of the XP lines. However, I still get both XP versions coming up when I boot. How can I get rid of the new version of XP? I'd appreciate any advice. Many thanks David.

davidjj

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hi Super Chook!! Appreciate your assistance. Understand the article right up to "Modifying the Boot.ini" Yes I'm running XP professional! I know I'm thick, but not totally familar with the lingo. However, I will continue to try to sort myself out of the Microsoft induced pain I'm currently experiencing. Oh thank you sincerely for getting back to me so quickly. Cheers Davidjj
]

Your new version; why do you want to get rid of it vs the old version.
You can change the 30 second delay on boot which allows you to select the OS, to like a minimum of 3 seconds, which then boots to the most recent install, without any user intervention. Right click mycomputer properties advanced Startup&recovery Settings. Change time to display Operating systems to 3 from 30.